DrinkJack

Default Help diagnosing engine problem.

502 mag Mercruiser EFI w/180 hours

Was on the lake all day with no problems. Then when it came time to
get off the lake the engine would start then immediately shut off.
Then it would start and once I tried to give it some gas it would shut
off. During this time I also noticed a sucking/hissing coming from the
flame arrestor when the engine would shut off . I eventually got the
boat started and it ran fine and I was able to reach full throttle
with no problems.

The next day, the boat started up easy and ran fine all day, until I
decided to go back to the launch. I then again experienced the same
problems as the first day.

My dad thinks it's the fuel filter. I just had the boat serviced 20
hours ago and a new fuel filter was put in. What else could it be? I'm
just confused because the problem seems to be intermittent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tony Thomas

May be a guess but I would check the choke and verify it is working
properly. How long was the engine shut off before trying to head to the
launch. Completely hot, warm, cold. Did it crank and run fine once cold.
May be a problem when the engine is on the warm side and the choke not
working properly.

Tony

"DrinkJack" wrote in message
[...]

Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM
just want to know ? Joe General 5 July 12th 03 08:34 PM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM
Weird problem with Ford 351 - MasterCraft ProStar 190 Calif Bill General 3 July 10th 03 08:31 AM
Problem starting Evinrude dmp General 9 June 30th 03 04:28 PM