BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercruiser 120 engine problems (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/632-re-mercruiser-120-engine-problems.html)

noah August 12th 03 04:21 AM

Mercruiser 120 engine problems

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:57:48 -0400, "Patrick McDougal"
wrote:

I recently "inherited" a 1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120 and am having
some problems with the engine. When I start the motor, it runs smoothly at
idle and smoothly with an increased throttle for 10s or so and then begins
to falter. If I do not reduce the throttle, it dies. I have checked the
points, condenser, plugs, and timing... all of which seem to be fine. I am
considering that it might be the fuel pump... Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

I agree with RK- fuel problem.
Carb is gummed, ...are you running old fuel, water in the fuel. ...?
How long did the boat "sit"?

I would get the carb cleaned.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

CaptMP August 12th 03 04:48 AM

Mercruiser 120 engine problems

If it's been stored for a while, I'd check the fuel tank vent-spiders like to
get up under the "clam shell" I don't know why and the web can really block the
vent. Could be corrosion in the screen at the same vent as well.
Have a nice summer!
Mike

noah August 12th 03 05:07 AM

On 12 Aug 2003 03:48:11 GMT, (CaptMP) wrote:

If it's been stored for a while, I'd check the fuel tank vent-spiders like to
get up under the "clam shell" I don't know why and the web can really block the
vent. Could be corrosion in the screen at the same vent as well.
Have a nice summer!
Mike

....funny you should mention....
A few years ago I tried to light the furnace in my camper ( a COLD
night in Maine). I could not get the pilot light to, well, ....light.

After much cursing and wrench fiddling, I finally removed the brass
pilot jet. Inside this 3/16" little fitting, I found a little dead
spider, and his little web, which was preventing the gas flow. After
removing his little butt, and little web, the pilot worked fine.

Arachnids are EVIL. :o)