Default Need a Good Book on Basic Wiring in a Boat For Beginner

Please recommend a good book on wiring a boat for beginners. Local
book stores and local marine supply stores only have limited number of
books on wiring, and they tend to be for advanced topics -- like wiring
a sailing boat with all kind of goodies. All I want are basic stuffs
like simple wiring diagram, and stuff for VHF radio... Preferably with
plenty of color pictures.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Jay Chan

wrote:
: Please recommend a good book on wiring a boat for beginners. Local
: book stores and local marine supply stores only have limited number of
: books on wiring, and they tend to be for advanced topics -- like wiring
: a sailing boat with all kind of goodies. All I want are basic stuffs
: like simple wiring diagram, and stuff for VHF radio... Preferably with
: plenty of color pictures.

: Any suggestion? Thanks.

: Jay Chan

Wow. Lotsa questions guy...

I know of no book on boat wiring. However, googling "boat wiring" provides
lots of information.
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/hul...4/wiring_1.htm is one link that is pretty good.

Also try searching the trailerboats.com archives for boat wiring articles.

Main thing is to keep any exposed wiring from corroding via using
"liquid tape" (see westmarine's website for it) or dielectric grease.
Just take a look under the shroud of your Mercury for visuals on how to
attach terminal lugs, etc.

Additionally, use marine grade switches, etc. (again, westmarine.com).

It's all pretty much common sense. There are no "generic" boat wiring
diagrams typically. Corrosion and work hardening of the wires at the
terminals are your main "enemies". Use lots of tiewraps to keep wirings
from moving to eliminate the latter.

b.
John

Start out by checking the links at:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...tml#Electrical

John

wrote:
Please recommend a good book on wiring a boat for beginners. Local
book stores and local marine supply stores only have limited number of
books on wiring, and they tend to be for advanced topics -- like wiring
a sailing boat with all kind of goodies. All I want are basic stuffs
like simple wiring diagram, and stuff for VHF radio... Preferably with
plenty of color pictures.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Jay Chan

There's a good book called "The 12-Volt Bible".

Also, there is a lot of basic wiring information available on the ANCOR
web site.

A few general tips before you go off to study up on what the actual
experts have to say:

1. Take the time to calculate the maximum load on each circuit, measure
the distance from the battery to the load (and back), and get a large
enough wire for the job. Lots of people use wire that is too small, and
then wonder why they don't have sufficient voltage for reliable
operation.

2. Buy stranded, tinned, marine wire. Don't try to get by with the
cheaper automotive grade. You will spend not that much for for the wire
itself, when the scope of the entire project is considered, but it will
make the difference between a really good result and something that
will work only temporarily or intermittently.

3. Pay way careful attention to your connections. Use properly crimped
hardware, make sure the terminals are clean, and consider using a "heat
shrink" cover to keep water and salt away from your connection.

4. If you have a lot of connections, use a panel or at least a buss bar
rather than glom a spiderweb of crap onto the battery terminal.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...books&v=glance

And I coat all connections with liquid tape.

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...tml#Electrical

Thanks. I will take a look. That web site has quite a lot of links to
go through...

Jay Chan

There's a good book called "The 12-Volt Bible".

There are two persons in this message thread like this book. It must
be good. Somehow, when I flipped through it in the book store, I only
saw very few wiring diagram in it, and it didn't give me a deep
impression. May be I should give it a second chance. OK, I will take
a look of this book one more time tomorrow.

Also, there is a lot of basic wiring information available on the ANCOR
web site.

I have looked at their web site in http://www.ancorproducts.com/ But I
don't see any wiring diagram. Are we talking about the same web site?

A few general tips before you go off to study up on what the actual
experts have to say:

All good points. I appreciate your effort in preparing that list of
good tips.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...books&v=glance

Thanks. You are the second person in this message thread who has
recommended the book "The 12 Volts Bible for Boats". I will definitely
take a look of this book one more time.

And I coat all connections with liquid tape.

Does the liquid tape replace the use of heat shrink tube for wiring
connection and replace the use of grease for connections on battery
terminals? I cannot quite picture the use of this products.

Jay Chan

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM