-rick-

Default Need a Good Book on Basic Wiring in a Boat For Beginner

6. 12-volt outlet (not sure what it is for?)

A blender, of course...... daiquiris anyone?

A hand held spotlight can come in handy at times also.

-rick-

If you are using the correct heat shrink tubing or terminal
connections, they have a heat activated glue. If there is any "tiny
gap around the heat-shrink tube and the cable" you have done something
wrong or used an inferior product. Ditto any heavy lugs that have
"holes" or gaps in the metal when properly swaged and sealed with heat
shrink.

I see. This means I should look for the right shrink tubing that has
heat activated glue. Thanks for the tip.

Jay Chan

All that, plus small inverter for running laptop, spotlight, portable
GPS, and the list goes on. I agree that a couple of outlets is nice
but you can also buy splitter cords that create a second outlet.

Good to know that the 12-volt outlet will have a lot of use. Thanks.

The other newsgroup member also mentioned about its use for running a
live-bait well; this sounds exactly something that I will want to add
to my boat.

Jay Chan

Let me start counting of what I have and what I want to add:
1. Motor starter

Possibly not fused.

You are probably right. The motor itself already has a fuse inside the
motor for the starter. I assume we don't need another fuse for the
same thing in the panel. I don't know for sure because I am still
reviewing the wiring.

2. Bilge pump

Possibly fused separately and not connected to the main breaker... but
directly to the battery.

You are exactly right. Although the panel in the boat has a slot for
bilge pump, the slot is not connecting to anything. The wiring for the
bilge pump actually goes directly to the battery switch and bypassing
the panel.

6. 12-volt outlet (not sure what it is for?)

A blender, of course...... daiquiris anyone?

May be for a live-baits well that I will add to my boat

Jay Chan

2. Bilge pump
Possibly fused separately and not connected to the main breaker... but
directly to the battery.

You are exactly right. Although the panel in the boat has a slot for
bilge pump, the slot is not connecting to anything. The wiring for the
bilge pump actually goes directly to the battery switch and bypassing
the panel.

You probably should have two feeds to the bilge pump. One, automatic,
through a float switch that is connected directly to the battery. The
other wire should go from the battery to a switch at the console
(appropriate fusing employed) and thence to the bilge pump. Thus, you
have an automatic bilge pump with a manual override.

Yes, indeed the boat is supposed to have both automatic and manual.
But the manual doesn't work. This is one of the reason why I need to
review the wiring in my boat.

Jay Chan

JIMinFL

This setup is kind of tricky, and not fool proof. What if you forget to turn
the manual switch off and turn the battery switch off. Then the float switch
turns the pump on. What would be the effect on circuits that had been
disconnected by the battery switch? What could you do to prevent this
effect?

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JIMinFL

Good answer Gene. I was just trying to illustrate that you need to pay
attention to what you are doing while playing with electricity, even with
simple boat wiring.
Jim
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:04:10 GMT, "JIMinFL"
wrote:

This setup is kind of tricky, and not fool proof. What if you forget to
turn
the manual switch off and turn the battery switch off. Then the float
switch
turns the pump on. What would be the effect on circuits that had been
disconnected by the battery switch? What could you do to prevent this
effect?

Jim,

That's a hell of a good point that I hadn't considered..... probably
because mine also has a light next to the switch and I rarely use it
except during a wash down.

I would think that the simplest fix would be to add a diode in line
between the bilge pump and the switch.

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM