John H.

Default Could have a new boat by Saturday

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:04:20 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:45:25 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:47:36 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:43:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I've been boating for over 20 years, buy have never owned a twin
screw
boat
this size (31' LOA...10'7" beam). It should be a learning
experience.

There are a few new tricks but with a ouboards that can be steered,
you can handle it almost like a single. One of the issues with twin
OBs is that the props are not usually far enough apart to generate
the
steering torque necessary to turn the boat in its own length, as most
twin inboards can by putting one engine in forward and the other in
reverse.

Thanks, Wayne. I heard that you can compensate a little bit by
increasing
the throttle with the reverse engine.

Once you learn to properly operate twins you will love them. What
helped
me
with my first boat with twins (IO's) was to think of the throttles as a
handle bar on a bike. To turn the bow to port put the port in reverse
and
starboard in forward. Your hand position would be the same as if you
were
turning a bike to the left.

The boat looks like a beauty. Congratulations.

Did you mean a bike, or a tricycle? They aren't the same, if there is
anything
other than *very* slow speed on the bike.

--

Yes, I mean your relative hand position when turning the handle bars on a
bicycle. Turn left and your left hand is down (towards your body) and

I always sterned into the dock. The port engine generally stayed in
reverse
and I did all/most of the maneuvering with the starboard engine (going
between forward and reverse gears). I never touched the steering wheel.

It worked for me. ;-)

If you are going faster than a walking speed on a bicycle (or motorcycle),
pulling the left handlebar towards you will cause you to go right. Another
way
of thinking of it is this, pushing the right handlebar away from you will
cause
the bike to go right. Push right, go right. Push left, go left.

Maybe this will explain it better:

"If we intentionally move the contact patch line from vertically beneath
the
Center of Gravity, the bike will start to lean. For example, if while
riding the
bike straight ahead, we press on the left bar the front wheel points to
the
right. The front wheel tracks to the right (sometimes called "out
tracking"). So
the weight of bike and rider is now to the LEFT of it's "support" on the
ground,
the tire contact patches. Because the weight is to the left, the bike
leans to
the left. It is important to note, for a LEFT turn, we initiate a lean to
the
left by pressing on the left bar, turning the front wheel to the RIGHT.
This is
often referred to as COUNTERSTEERING: a turn to the left initiated by
turning
the front wheel to the right."

The above from: http://www.rider-ed.com/tips/motorcyclestability.htm

In your initial post, if you change the word to tricycle, you'll be
correct,
UNLESS you're talking about going in reverse, which most of us can't do on
bike anyway!

--
John H.

Never mind John. You are trying to make this far more complicated then it
needs to be.

Have you ever had twins?

No, I was not trying to make it complicated. Having been a motorcycle riding
instructor, the small error you made was immediately noticeable. Your statement
was true for a tricycle, but not a bicycle at any speed other than walking.

No, I've not had any babies at all!

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM