NOYB

Default Could have a new boat by Saturday

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:43:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I've been boating for over 20 years, buy have never owned a twin screw
boat
this size (31' LOA...10'7" beam). It should be a learning experience.

There are a few new tricks but with a ouboards that can be steered,
you can handle it almost like a single. One of the issues with twin
OBs is that the props are not usually far enough apart to generate the
steering torque necessary to turn the boat in its own length, as most
twin inboards can by putting one engine in forward and the other in
reverse.

Thanks, Wayne. I heard that you can compensate a little bit by increasing
the throttle with the reverse engine.

Sir Rodney Smithers

NOYB,
I am wondering if you are offering rides and fishing trips on your new boat.
If you want I can bring Kevin down with me.

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me about my knighthood. wrote in message
NOYB,
I am wondering if you are offering rides and fishing trips on your new
boat. If you want I can bring Kevin down with me.

I suspect that he'd leave the same slime on my boat that a catfish leaves on
your fishing line. And once that happens, the other fish stop biting. No
thanks.

NOYB wrote:
I just sent the check to the surveyor yesterday. Survey is being done on
Friday. I'm looking at the boat on Saturday. The official survey won't be
sent to me until Monday or Tuesday, but the surveyor said that he'd give me
a verbal thumbs up or down by Saturday.

By Saturday at noon, I could be burning $350 worth of gas travelling on the
boat en route to Naples from the seller's marina near Tampa.

I've been boating for over 20 years, buy have never owned a twin screw boat
this size (31' LOA...10'7" beam). It should be a learning experience.

So what have you almost bought?

Did you choose gas because you got a huge discount compared to a diesel
boat, or do you actually prefer gas?

If you have never operated a twin screw boat, it isn't that hard to
learn but you will want to stay mentally sharp- particularly at first.
I operate a single screw most of the time, so when I am called upon to
operate twins I wind up deliberately thinking my way through the
process- but running my single is almost "instinctive". If you have
operated smaller twin screws, the upsize to 31' won't be a huge issue-
and in many respects a larger boat can be a little easier to operate
(greater inertia) than a smaller one. You do have less room to recover
if you get into trouble with a larger boat, but if you stay out of
trouble in the first place you should be fine.

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
I just sent the check to the surveyor yesterday. Survey is being done on
Friday. I'm looking at the boat on Saturday. The official survey won't
be
sent to me until Monday or Tuesday, but the surveyor said that he'd give
me
a verbal thumbs up or down by Saturday.

By Saturday at noon, I could be burning $350 worth of gas travelling on
the
boat en route to Naples from the seller's marina near Tampa.

I've been boating for over 20 years, buy have never owned a twin screw
boat
this size (31' LOA...10'7" beam). It should be a learning experience.

So what have you almost bought?

Grady White 30' Marlin

Did you choose gas because you got a huge discount compared to a diesel
boat, or do you actually prefer gas?

Twin Yamaha outboards. I need a shallow draft boat down here. They're
2-strokes because all of the four-stroke boats were too much money for my
budget.

But if you look at Yamaha performance specs for the 250 hp two-stroke vs.
the four-stroke, the two-stroke's fuel economy at cruise is not far off from
the four-stroke.

2-stroke: Almost 33 mph yielding a little over 1.4mpg
4-stroke: Approx. 30 mph yielding just under 1.6mpg

At trolling speed and WOT, there is a much bigger difference though with the
2-stroke.

If you have never operated a twin screw boat, it isn't that hard to
learn but you will want to stay mentally sharp- particularly at first.
I operate a single screw most of the time, so when I am called upon to
operate twins I wind up deliberately thinking my way through the
process- but running my single is almost "instinctive". If you have
operated smaller twin screws, the upsize to 31' won't be a huge issue-
and in many respects a larger boat can be a little easier to operate
(greater inertia) than a smaller one. You do have less room to recover
if you get into trouble with a larger boat, but if you stay out of
trouble in the first place you should be fine.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:40:02 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

There are a few new tricks but with a ouboards that can be steered,
you can handle it almost like a single. One of the issues with twin
OBs is that the props are not usually far enough apart to generate the
steering torque necessary to turn the boat in its own length, as most
twin inboards can by putting one engine in forward and the other in
reverse.

Thanks, Wayne. I heard that you can compensate a little bit by increasing
the throttle with the reverse engine.

======================================

Yes, and you can also turn the engines (steering wheel) in the
direction you want to spin the boat.

*JimH*

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:43:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I've been boating for over 20 years, buy have never owned a twin screw
boat
this size (31' LOA...10'7" beam). It should be a learning experience.

There are a few new tricks but with a ouboards that can be steered,
you can handle it almost like a single. One of the issues with twin
OBs is that the props are not usually far enough apart to generate the
steering torque necessary to turn the boat in its own length, as most
twin inboards can by putting one engine in forward and the other in
reverse.

Thanks, Wayne. I heard that you can compensate a little bit by increasing
the throttle with the reverse engine.

Once you learn to properly operate twins you will love them. What helped me
with my first boat with twins (IO's) was to think of the throttles as a
handle bar on a bike. To turn the bow to port put the port in reverse and
starboard in forward. Your hand position would be the same as if you were
turning a bike to the left.

The boat looks like a beauty. Congratulations.

P Fritz

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

NOYB wrote in message
nk.net...

Where does the name have to appear on the boat? Gunwales? Transom?

And
how soon after the purchase do I have to get that info stickered or

painted
on the boat?

Usually a documented boat has the name on the transom at a minimum,

along
with the hailing port name. There are regulations as to the size of the
lettering of the hailing port. Also, the documentation number is

supposed
be permanently affixed to an internal structural part of the hull in a
manner in which it's removal would be noticeable. These numbers also

have
size requirements. My boat has the numbers burned into a teak plank that
is
affixed to a bulkhead in the engine room. I cheated by simply bolting

the
plank to the bulkhead whereas most I've seen are glassed on.

I am not sure what the requirements are for a twin engine outboard

though.
Seems there may not be enough room on the transom for a boat name and
hailing port.
BTW - Florida *is* one of the states that requires a state registration
even
though the boat is federally documented.

Does that mean the boat will have "FL" numbers as well? I thought you
couldn't put state registration numbers on a documented boat?

If it is like Mich, the state will issue you numbers, but you do not
display them on the boat.

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
I just sent the check to the surveyor yesterday. Survey is being done on
Friday. I'm looking at the boat on Saturday. The official survey won't
be
sent to me until Monday or Tuesday, but the surveyor said that he'd give
me
a verbal thumbs up or down by Saturday.

By Saturday at noon, I could be burning $350 worth of gas travelling on
the
boat en route to Naples from the seller's marina near Tampa.

What marina?

Yeah, right. Like I would tell you so that you can monkey with the surveyor
and/or seller.

I'll post the marina's name on Sunday when I get back to Naples...after the
sale goes through.

Jeez, you're paranoid little putz, aren't you? By telling the name of
the marina, how would anybody know who the surveyor, or owner was? It's
odd that every time that Harry mentions buying or selling something,
you all pig pile on, asking for all the details, and if they aren't
given, you call him a liar. Have an Ybor Gold for me, it's good stuff.

P Fritz

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Just make sure to keep the wheel/ drives centered when using the throttles
to maneuver.

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM