NOYB

Default Winterizing

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just looked at the checklist for winterizing Yo Ho.

Here's what the dealer does:

Backs the rig into his fresh water yard tank, tests the engine for proper
running, computer data, and linkage of steering, throttle and shift.
Engine still under warranty, so anything that pops up needing attention
will be fixed automatically at no charge to me.

Chemically stabilizes fuel in tank.

Fogs internal engine parts with storage oil.

Replaces fuel filter.

Changes gear oil, lubes prop shaft

Changes oil and filter.

Lubes grease fittings on engine and other spots needing lube.

Replaces anodes.

Lubes through-hulls.

Removes batteries, stores indoors in heated workshop.

Washes boat.

That's for $145. Oil and filters, extra, but at reasonable prices.
I think that's a pretty damned good deal for a buck and a half, and it's
all done properly and *I* don't have to do it.

Same service for an I/0 runs $175 (and obviously takes care of cooling
system), and for $250, the dealership also removes outdrive, lubes all
joints and gimbal bearings, runs a pressure check, and adjusts
engine-drive alignment.

That's a phenomenal price. My hundred hour service costs nearly $250 and
they don't do half that. I wonder what your dealer charges someone who
didn't buy a new boat and motor there?

*JimH*

"NOYB" wrote in message
news

[...]

I agree. Hell, the anodes alone are probably worth $40.

*JimH*

NOYB wrote:
[...]

They don't sell boats with I/O's. The prices are the same for anyone
coming in for winterizing. They're posted as the "Winterizing Special."
I would guess the dealer stores close to 300 Grady and Parker rigs on his
lot over the winter. He charges $60 a month for winter storage for
winterizing customers.

The normal labor rate at the shop is $80 an hour.

My father did much the same during his 30 years as a dealer. He had really
low winterizing and storage rates. The income helped him get through the
really slow months in New Haven...November through March.

My guess is that the prices help the dealer hold onto his good mechanics
year-around. Steady work and a decent paycheck every week, plus the
place's top-drawer fringe benefits translate into almost no turnover in
the shop.

What is the name and phone number of this place?

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

They don't sell boats with I/O's. The prices are the same for anyone
coming in for winterizing. They're posted as the "Winterizing Special."

It's a substantial dealership for what it sells. Gradys up to 36',
Parkers up to 28, and one or two other lines.

I've been doing business with the dealer for more than five years.

Do you take the fab Zimmermanlike lobster boat in at the same time? Do
you get the "Special" with that one too?

--
Skipper
*JimH*

NOYB wrote:
[...]

I'll be glad to email it to you, and even snail mail you a winterizing
flyer, if you like.

NP. Now that you said parts are extra it is a different story.

So basically they charge you for a couple of hours of labor plus parts?
What is the final bill?

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Parts are extra, I thought I mentioned that. If not, I should have. The
anodes on an outboard are not $40, though. Remember, I keep Yo Ho on a
trailer. My anodes last a long time.

How much for sacrificials on the 36' Lobsta boat? You keep that on a
trailer also?

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

It's a substantial dealership for what it sells. Gradys up to 36',
Parkers up to 28, and one or two other lines.

I've been doing business with the dealer for more than five years.

Do you take the fab Zimmermanlike lobster boat in at the same time? Do
you get the "Special" with that one too?

No, Adolf. That boat is hauled and winterized at a large marina where
service reps from various diesel distributors make "house calls," and
there are lots of independent shops for handling big boats. That
winterizing costs more.

How much more than your $250 'Special'? Do you use the same diesel
distributor each year?

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Parts are extra, I thought I mentioned that. If not, I should have. The
anodes on an outboard are not $40, though. Remember, I keep Yo Ho on a
trailer. My anodes last a long time.

How much for sacrificials on the 36' Lobsta boat? You keep that on a
trailer also?

Nope. Got a cradle for her.

You've *never* changed the anodes in five years? How many hours has that
boat been in the water during those five years?

--
Skipper
John H.

NOYB wrote:
[...]

http://www.tristatemarine.com/

You're welcome.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

You've *never* changed the anodes in five years? How many hours has that
boat been in the water during those five years?

Note, Adolf, that I responded to your query about a trailer. You are
responding beyond my proffer of information.

I might even be responding beyond your present ability to proffer.

How 'bout a trade, Krause, a photo of that 'fab Zimmermanlike lobsta
boat' for an update on Skipper's current boats?

--
Skipper

Skipper's hero? Don White General 11 November 12th 05 10:05 PM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
Q: Winter storage - Optimax 175 OB B General 3 October 26th 05 05:56 AM
Difference in Winterizing Diesel vs. Gasoline Black-n-Gold General 0 October 6th 05 01:13 AM