Default Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

JIMinFL wrote:
Are you sure or are you just guessing?
wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

John H.

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:20:51 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

You can easily beat that with a Honda Civic.. four people at over 25
mpg. Heck, even the Hummer can come close... 7 people at 12 mpg.

Unfortunately, 98% of those Hummers are traveling with only one person
inside, and that person will almost certainly have a cell phone glued
to their head. It keeps the rest of their brains from spilling out of
their ear.

Probably their left ear. :-)

Yeah, but if one owns a Hummer, doesn't that mean one is well endowed? Like, uh,
doesn't he have a big ... oh, never mind.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

Hypocrital Liberal
NewsHog

Interestingly, I drive a stock Dodge Ram pickup with a diesel that gets
17 mpg around town and 23 mpg highway. And the tree huggers rant about
that too. We have no shortage of gas. We have greedy oil companies like
Exxon who pays no federal taxes, and yet charges us dearly to make their
9.92 billion dollar quarterly net profit.
Bill McKee

"NewsHog" wrote in message
Interestingly, I drive a stock Dodge Ram pickup with a diesel that gets 17
mpg around town and 23 mpg highway. And the tree huggers rant about that
too. We have no shortage of gas. We have greedy oil companies like Exxon
who pays no federal taxes, and yet charges us dearly to make their 9.92
billion dollar quarterly net profit.

2003 Exxon had a $11 billion tax bill to fed, state, local governments.

Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 09:04 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
Fiberglass loss of strength Mic Cruising 1 October 15th 05 08:03 PM
Three-quarters of $billion in boats destroyed by Katrina alone [email protected] General 1 October 13th 05 12:05 AM