BoatBanter.com

-   -   Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/62452-gas-hog-cars-same-phenomenon-boats.html)

[email protected] November 6th 05 05:24 AM

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

Here's a list of the ten worst gas guzzling automobiles.

Notice that nearly all of them (including the VW) sell for over
$100,000- with some up in the 1/4-million dollar range.

Just like a boat- if a guy can afford to spend $200,000 on a vehicle
(or vessel), why the heck does he care whether fuel is gong to be $3-4
per gallons vs. $1-2? Whether fuel costs are going to run 3% of the
purchase cost per year, vs. 5%?

(not) overheard at the country club: "I guess I'll have to pass on that
2006 Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish I've had my eye on. The gas mileage is
pretty pathetic."

The 10 Least Fuel-Efficient Vehicles

Ferrari F430 is 10th on the list
By Jeff Zygmont

Sure, this lineup includes some low-slung racers that run so fast they
make you stammer. But our listing contains some surprises as well,
beginning with the very first, most fuel-thirsty entry.

All of these vehicles travel rather fast, and some are inordinately
heavy. A few are deliberately lightweight. That fact may seem to
contradict our fuel-use equation (more speed plus more weight equals
more fuel). But you have to consider that the manufacturers of
outer-boundary sports cars trim vehicle weight not to gain miles per
gallon but to divert more engine power and hence more fuel, to the
speed side of the equation.

By necessity, our ranking includes only 2006 model year vehicles rated
by the EPA. Yes, that's most everything. But the agency does not gauge
the fuel use of what it calls special-purpose vehicles. That group
includes the two big Hummers, H1 and H2. Without comparative data, it's
impossible to say if either model would make the Top 10. But regarding
H2, Peter Ternes, Hummer's director of global product communications,
reports that "our engineering team is experiencing an average
performance of about 12 miles per gallon under normal driving
conditions, commuting to and from work." If 12 mpg was an official,
EPA-certified fuel-consumption rating, H2 would certainly earn a place
among the 10 least fuel-efficient vehicles of '06.

What's more, the 2006 Fuel Economy Guide does not include some heady
racers that are still available as '05 models. The Ferrari 575M
Maranello, for one, ranked number six on last year's list of least
fuel-efficient cars. At 12.41 miles per gallon, it would have retained
a spot on the current ForbesAutos.com 2006 list if Ferrari had produced
an '06 model.

Finally, keep in mind that measuring fuel efficiency in terms of miles
per gallon is only a popular convention. You can also compute
efficiency as the power per gallon a car strains out of gasoline. By
that measure, these bottom 10 all land near the top.

Dodge Ram SRT-10
Rank on 2006 Least Fuel-Efficient List: 1
Vehicle Type: pickup truck
Price: $47,605
Miles Per Gallon: 10.56
City/Highway Miles Per Gallon: 9/12 with automatic transmission; 9/15
with manual
Fuel: premium gasoline
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $4,403

Comments: You drain fuel fastest with either excessive weight or
outlandish speed. The 2006 Ram SRT-10 embraces both vices, making it
the biggest fuel hog on record. This super-size pickup weighs more than
two-and-a-half tons. Yet with its 10-cylinder, 500-horsepower engine,
it sprints from zero to 60 miles in just over five seconds. In 2004, it
won acclaim as the world's fastest production pickup in the Guinness
Book of World Records, sustaining a speed of 155 miles per hour for a
full kilometer. Mercifully, the SRT-10 accommodates a fuel tank the
size of a bathtub. Its 26 gallons gives the pickup a cruising range
greater than the distance between you and the next filling station. For
drivers who control their testosterone, Dodge sells versions of the Ram
pickup with smaller engines, and therefore greater fuel economy. The
most conservative, with a 3.7-liter six-cylinder, gives you 18 miles
per gallon.

Bentley Arnage
Rank on 2006 Least Fuel-Efficient List: 2
Vehicle Type: midsize passenger car
Price: $216,270
Miles Per Gallon: 11.47
City/Highway Miles Per Gallon: 10/14
Fuel: premium gasoline
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $4,054

Comments: It lacks an open pickup bed in the back, but the 2006 Bentley
Arnage seems to take a cue from the beefy Ram SRT-10: It is very heavy,
yet very fast. In fact, at about 5,700 pounds (in its smaller
configuration), Arnage weighs more than a quarter-ton more than the Ram
but is slightly slower. The Arnage T - the speediest version - runs
from zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Its 6.75-liter, twin-turbocharged,
450-horsepower engine pushes the luxury cruiser to a top speed of 168
miles per hour. Arnage R and the long-wheel-base Arnage RL trade some
of that power for greater refinement. Its 6.75-liter engine is tuned to
deliver 400 horsepower, accelerating from 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds in the
Arnage R, 6.0 seconds in the RL. Both versions are electronically
speed-limited to 155 miles per hour. The stretched RL version is 10
inches longer and about 150 pounds heavier than the other models, but
it still earns the same 11.47 miles per gallon fuel-economy rating.

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
Rank on 2006 Least Fuel-Efficient List: 3
Vehicle Type: four-seat midsize sports car
Price: $247,850
Miles Per Gallon: 12.67
City/Highway Miles Per Gallon: 10/17 with automatic transmission; 11/17
with manual
Fuel: premium gasoline
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $3,670

Comments: The twin-passenger rear seat is a distinguishing
characteristic of the 2006 612 Scaglietti. But the four-seat Ferrari
gives little ground to its smaller two-seat siblings in speed or in
fuel consumption. It uses a variation of the 5.75-liter V12 that powers
the 2005 Ferrari 575M Maranello. The Scaglietti version develops more
horsepower, reaching a peak of 540. At just over 4,050 pounds,
Scaglietti also weighs about 250 pounds more than the two-seat
Maranello. Yet Scaglietti manages to eek out one half-mile more per
gallon in fuel economy. With a 28.5-gallon fuel tank, it can motor more
than 350 miles between filling stations. As a grand touring sports car,
the front-engine, rear-drive Scaglietti takes greater pains to provide
creature comforts. For example, Ferrari promotional material notes that
door size and even hinging accommodate easier entry and egress, while
backseat leg room and head room are substantial.

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish S
Rank on 2006 Least Fuel-Efficient List: 4
Vehicle Type: two- and four-seat midsize sports car
Price: $255,000
Miles Per Gallon: 13.08
City/Highway Miles Per Gallon: 11/17
Fuel: premium gasoline
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $3,555

Comments: Aston Martin makes much of the fact that V12 Vanquish S, with
a 520 horsepower, V12 engine, is the fastest production car the company
has ever made. It is faster than cars made by a lot of other companies,
as well. V12 Vanquish accelerates from zero to 62 miles per hour in a
mere 4.8 seconds. If you stay on the accelerator pedal it will reach a
top speed that exceeds 200 miles per hour. You can buy Vanquish as a
two-seater, or, optionally, as a two-plus-two touring version. Like the
Ferrari Scaglietti, V12 Vanquish is not a feather-light speedster.
Instead it loads in some lavish amenities to make motoring comfortable.
At 4,144 pounds, the V12 Vanquish essentially matches the
four-passenger Scaglietti in weight. To keep it from growing heavier,
Aston Martin makes Vanquish from aluminum, tailoring each body panel
around a center structure by hand. The method ensures a tidy fit, the
company crows.

Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Rank on 2006 Least Fuel-Efficient List: 5
Vehicle Type: midsize passenger car
Price: $164,990
Miles Per Gallon: 13.33
City/Highway Miles Per Gallon: 11/18
Fuel: premium gasoline
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $3,488

Comments: Like some of the other conspicuous fuel consumers on this
list, the Bentley Continental Flying Spur manages to be both very heavy
and very fast. Bentley puts the all-wheel-drive Flying Spur's curb
weight at just under 5,500 pounds. That makes it only about 200 pounds
lighter than its more profligate sibling, Bentley Arnage, the second
least fuel-efficient vehicle in our ranking. But the Flying Spur
surpasses the beefier Arnage in flat-out speed. It reaches a top end
speed of 195 miles per hour, compared to 168 for the Arnage. Its zero
to 60 miles per hour pace of 4.9 seconds is more than a half second
faster than the fastest Arnage version, Arnage T. Although the Arnage T
carries a larger engine, the 6.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V12 in the
Flying Spur produces more horsepower - 552 compared to 450 in the
Arnage. That helps account for the Spur's faster feet.

See the rest of the list from ForbesAutos.com he

6. Aston Martin DB9
7. BMW M5
8. Maserati Quattroporte
9. VW Phaeton W12
10. Ferrari F430

UNIVERSAL MIND November 6th 05 01:19 PM

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

FWIW, my '82 Ford F-150, with transplanted 400 (M) V-8 engine, is
really lousy on gas !

11 mpg average
9 mpg with hubs locked
8 mpg with hubs lock in 4WD mode

I do take the time to unlock the hubs when I don't need the 4WD !

John H. November 6th 05 02:04 PM

On 5 Nov 2005 20:24:12 -0800, wrote:

Here's a list of the ten worst gas guzzling automobiles.

Notice that nearly all of them (including the VW) sell for over
$100,000- with some up in the 1/4-million dollar range.

Just like a boat- if a guy can afford to spend $200,000 on a vehicle
(or vessel), why the heck does he care whether fuel is gong to be $3-4
per gallons vs. $1-2? Whether fuel costs are going to run 3% of the
purchase cost per year, vs. 5%?

(not) overheard at the country club: "I guess I'll have to pass on that
2006 Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish I've had my eye on. The gas mileage is
pretty pathetic."

Whew, I was worried about the Mustang GT being on the list! At almost 22 mpg, it
didn't stand a chance.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

Hypocrital Liberal

John Gaquin November 6th 05 04:39 PM

wrote in message

Here's a list of the ten worst gas guzzling automobiles.

The 10 Least Fuel-Efficient Vehicles Dodge Ram SRT-10 Bentley
Arnage
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti Aston Martin V12 Vanquish S Bentley
Continental Flying Spur 6. Aston Martin DB9 7. BMW M5 8.
Maserati Quattroporte
9. VW Phaeton W12 10. Ferrari F430

A couple of points occur to me..... 1. These could all be called special
purpose vehicles. Although oft used as personal transportation by the
testosterone saturated, the Ram is truly a work truck, albeit with a narrow
niche; but if they're going to include that, why not include a few models
from Peterbilt, Freightliner, and Kenworth?

2. The balance are either sports cars for the very, very rich, or very high
end executive transport. This is not a comparison of your "everyday" cars.

3. Interesting that the folks who often scream at us as wasteful
insensitives copp the category when it comes to gas hogs. :-)

[email protected] November 6th 05 04:40 PM

JIMinFL wrote:
Greyhound bus should be on the list. Don't ya think.

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded

Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

ups.com...

John Gaquin November 6th 05 04:47 PM

wrote in message

JIMinFL wrote:
Greyhound bus should be on the list. Don't ya think.

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded

Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

There's no question you're right in principle, but numbers need adjustment.
Even fully loaded the bus probably holds only about 45-50, and the average
load is probably not over 35. Even so, that would rough out to about 175
person-miles/gallon.

Skipper November 6th 05 04:56 PM

Leftist Hogs

wrote:

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded
Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

And while one is on such a leftist bent, one might wonder if it woulden
be more *efficient* for one (1) governess to raise 100 children than one
hundred pairs of parents?

--
Skipper

JIMinFL November 6th 05 05:14 PM

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

Are you sure or are you just guessing?
wrote in message
oups.com...

JIMinFL wrote:
Greyhound bus should be on the list. Don't ya think.

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded

Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

ups.com...