BoatBanter.com

-   -   Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/62452-gas-hog-cars-same-phenomenon-boats.html)

[email protected] November 6th 05 04:35 PM

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

JIMinFL wrote:
Are you sure or are you just guessing?
wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

Jack Goff November 8th 05 12:20 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

You can easily beat that with a Honda Civic.. four people at over 25
mpg. Heck, even the Hummer can come close... 7 people at 12 mpg.

Unfortunately, 98% of those Hummers are traveling with only one person
inside, and that person will almost certainly have a cell phone glued
to their head. It keeps the rest of their brains from spilling out of
their ear.

Probably their left ear. :-)

John H. November 8th 05 12:36 AM

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, but if one owns a Hummer, doesn't that mean one is well endowed? Like, uh,
doesn't he have a big ... oh, never mind.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

Hypocrital Liberal

[email protected] November 8th 05 01:00 AM

Leftist Hogs

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded
Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

And while one is on such a leftist bent, one might wonder if it woulden
be more *efficient* for one (1) governess to raise 100 children than one
hundred pairs of parents?

--
Skipper

Efficiency is when an entire gaggle of KKKKK (kookie kansas
Ku-Klux-Klaners) share a single brain. Tragedy is when one of the batch
misses his turn to use it. Should you run into anybody out your way for
whom that sentiment would be appropriate, pass it along, please.

jps November 8th 05 01:16 AM

Snippy on the booze again

In article , says...
wrote:

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded
Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

And while one is on such a leftist bent, one might wonder if it woulden
be more *efficient* for one (1) governess to raise 100 children than one
hundred pairs of parents?

Pain medication wore off already Snippy?

That's okay, just take it in liquid form!

jps

John H. November 8th 05 01:35 AM

Leftist Hogs

On 7 Nov 2005 17:00:54 -0800, wrote:

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

From a fuel consumption/passenger mile standpoint, a fully loaded
Greyhound Bus hast to be one of the most efficient vehicles on the
road. If the GHB gets 5 mpg (just a guess) but has 100 people aboard
that's the same efficiency as each one of those people driving a single
occupancy vehicle and realizing 500 miles/ gallon.

And while one is on such a leftist bent, one might wonder if it woulden
be more *efficient* for one (1) governess to raise 100 children than one
hundred pairs of parents?

--
Skipper

Efficiency is when an entire gaggle of KKKKK (kookie kansas
Ku-Klux-Klaners) share a single brain. Tragedy is when one of the batch
misses his turn to use it. Should you run into anybody out your way for
whom that sentiment would be appropriate, pass it along, please.

I thought you'd stopped that.

NewsHog November 8th 05 01:57 AM

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

Interestingly, I drive a stock Dodge Ram pickup with a diesel that gets
17 mpg around town and 23 mpg highway. And the tree huggers rant about
that too. We have no shortage of gas. We have greedy oil companies like
Exxon who pays no federal taxes, and yet charges us dearly to make their
9.92 billion dollar quarterly net profit.

Bill McKee November 8th 05 07:36 AM

"NewsHog" wrote in message
Interestingly, I drive a stock Dodge Ram pickup with a diesel that gets 17
mpg around town and 23 mpg highway. And the tree huggers rant about that
too. We have no shortage of gas. We have greedy oil companies like Exxon
who pays no federal taxes, and yet charges us dearly to make their 9.92
billion dollar quarterly net profit.

2003 Exxon had a $11 billion tax bill to fed, state, local governments.

Bill McKee November 10th 05 07:56 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

I did a 2,220 mile trip this past summer in my 15-passenger V-10 Ford
Club Wagon. There were only 10 of us, 4 adults and 6 grandchildren.
I averaged 13 mpg.
I tried figuring out what that equated to in passenger miles per
gallon. But got lost.
Besides, those little grandkids refused to share in the gas costs.
Eddie

130 passenger miles per gallon. Did the grandkids share in the ice-cream
budget?