Jack Goff

Default Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats

On 6 Nov 2005 08:35:42 -0800, wrote:

JIMinFL wrote:
Are you sure or are you just guessing?
wrote in message
oups.com...

My 5mpg and 100 passengers is an educated guesstimate, represented as
such.
Don't worry, I wouldn't think of starting a war over it. :-)

I figure a Greyhound bus is probably geared a little higher than a
typical semi tractor, and 25 rows of seats, four across, would give you
100 passenger capacity.

But even if my guesstimate is wrong and even if a Greyhound bus only
realized 2MPG while carrying 50 passengers, that's still 100 passenger
miles per gallon. I think you could probably beat that per passenger
mile efficiency if you put enough people (several hundred or more) on a
train- but you can't get hardly anybody to ride the train these days
except some daily commuters in the NE.

You can easily beat that with a Honda Civic.. four people at over 25
mpg. Heck, even the Hummer can come close... 7 people at 12 mpg.

Unfortunately, 98% of those Hummers are traveling with only one person
inside, and that person will almost certainly have a cell phone glued
to their head. It keeps the rest of their brains from spilling out of
their ear.

Probably their left ear. :-)