cb

Default Fogging a Fuel Injected V8 ??

I was told that I should not "fog" my 2 year old fuel injected (5.0-v8)
boat engine for winter storage. What is the correct procedure to prep
the engine for storage?
Thanks in advance,
....cb
ed

fogging means introducting special oil into the intake passages and
combustion chamber. the stick, vaporous oil protects metal surfaces
from corrosion. On a 4-stroke, this means intake valve stems, piston
rings, cylinder walls, and exhaust valves.

technically fuel injected engines do need their fuel to be stabilized
because the efi gas is not exposed to air. but the the fuel in the tank
is. so stabilizing fuel still makes sense.

my guess is the person who advised you confused fogging with
stabilizing.

editor
http://www.marineenginedigest.com

cb

I guess I should have replaced the word "fogging" with "winterizing".

After posting my question, I spoke to the service mgr at the dealer, he
confirmed the pre-storage procedure of running the motor for 5 minutes @
1300 rpm on a mixture of 5 gallons gas and 2 quarts 2 cycle TCW-3 oil
with one ounce fuel stabilizer concentrate added. I already stabilized
the gas in the fuel tank before the last outing of the season.

ref: Mercury Service Bulletin No. 2001-8

thanks.

ed wrote:
fogging means introducting special oil into the intake passages and
combustion chamber. the stick, vaporous oil protects metal surfaces
from corrosion. On a 4-stroke, this means intake valve stems, piston
rings, cylinder walls, and exhaust valves.

technically fuel injected engines do need their fuel to be stabilized
because the efi gas is not exposed to air. but the the fuel in the tank
is. so stabilizing fuel still makes sense.

my guess is the person who advised you confused fogging with
stabilizing.

editor
http://www.marineenginedigest.com

the only engines I know abnout that MUST NOT be fogged are Mercury
Optimax. It shouldnt hurt any other motor.

Call me crazy but I even fog my ATV and chainsaw !

Matt

ed

Evinrude E-TEC engines feature self-winterizing at the touch of the
button.

editor
http://www.marineenginedigest.com

Bill McKee

"Dread Pirate Szfranski" wrote in message
On 6 Nov 2005 08:20:24 -0800, "ed"
wrote:

Evinrude E-TEC engines feature self-winterizing at the touch of the
button.

I know.

Winterizing? That is putting the propane catalytic heater in the boat, when
I go sturgeon fishing.

your welcome I wrote it myself .. is for a jetdrive but the block is
the same 2.5l block as is used in 150 and 175 HP outboards

Matt

Fuel Perks anyone? *JimH* General 11 October 22nd 05 04:22 PM
FA: Merc / Quicksilver fuel tank. [email protected] General 4 October 22nd 05 01:14 AM
6v53 fuel burn rate Old Boat Goat Cruising 20 October 17th 05 12:05 AM
Johnson 28 hp fuel pump Shorty General 1 October 15th 05 10:48 PM
Renault Couach RC16D diesel fuel filter? Gil G. Boat Building 0 October 13th 05 09:09 PM