Marty Schulze

Default Sea Ray Sundancer Bilge Question

Own a 1998 250DA. In this, or similar models, does anyone know if the
forward bilge (bow to bulkhead just aft of shower sump) is connected (as in
"drains") into the aft bilge (Engine compartment?) The aft bilge remained
dry (with it's bilge pump operating) during this weeks heavy rains, but the
forward bilge accumulated about 6 inches, flooding over the cabin floor.
Strangely, The isolated shower sump pump (liocated in the forward bilge)
does not allow surrounding bilge water in it's enclosure. (Why not?)
If the two bilges are connected (under the fuel tank,) does anyone know of
ways or ideas as how to clear the path?

Marty on the NJ Shore
Sent 9:42 PM, October 16th, 2005

JIMinFL

The fwd. bilge is isolated. There shouldn't be any water in there. Look for
a leak in one of the port hole windows. You could install a small automatic
pump in there and hopefully be able to route the discharge hose overboard.
Alternatively hook the hose to the top of the sump so that soapy water won't
siphen into the bilge. The danger in that would be if the shower pump
failed, you would flood the cabin again.
Maybe Sea Ray would help you out with a solution. It is a design oversight.
JIMinFL
"Marty Schulze" wrote in message
Own a 1998 250DA. In this, or similar models, does anyone know if the
forward bilge (bow to bulkhead just aft of shower sump) is connected (as
in "drains") into the aft bilge (Engine compartment?) The aft bilge
remained dry (with it's bilge pump operating) during this weeks heavy
rains, but the forward bilge accumulated about 6 inches, flooding over the
cabin floor. Strangely, The isolated shower sump pump (liocated in the
forward bilge) does not allow surrounding bilge water in it's enclosure.
(Why not?)
If the two bilges are connected (under the fuel tank,) does anyone know of
ways or ideas as how to clear the path?

Marty on the NJ Shore
Sent 9:42 PM, October 16th, 2005

RG

"Marty Schulze" wrote in message
Own a 1998 250DA. In this, or similar models, does anyone know if the
forward bilge (bow to bulkhead just aft of shower sump) is connected (as
in "drains") into the aft bilge (Engine compartment?) The aft bilge
remained dry (with it's bilge pump operating) during this weeks heavy
rains, but the forward bilge accumulated about 6 inches, flooding over the
cabin floor. Strangely, The isolated shower sump pump (liocated in the
forward bilge) does not allow surrounding bilge water in it's enclosure.
(Why not?)
If the two bilges are connected (under the fuel tank,) does anyone know of
ways or ideas as how to clear the path?

Marty on the NJ Shore
Sent 9:42 PM, October 16th, 2005

The two bilges are most not connected. That is why the aft bilge remained
dry. I believe that what you'll find is that the pump in the self-contained
shower sump has failed, and water has accumulated in the sump and overflowed
into the surrounding forward bilge and then onto the cabin floor. The lid
to the sump is not watertight. The pump inside the sump has its wiring
exposed to the water in the sump and is subject to corrosion. The pump is
still functional, but the wiring has corroded and a connection has been
broken. There is one wire that goes directly to the pump and another that
is interrupted by a float switch, which also resides in the sump. Remove
the four screws from the top of the sump and manually lift the float. This
would normally engage the pump, but if I'm correct, it will not due to the
broken connection. You will have to remove the water manually as best you
can from the forward bilge and the sump and then repair the broken wire. If
the wiring in the sump is too far gone, West Marine sells replacement
self-contained sump assemblies.

Where does the water come from? Obviously the shower, but a lesser known
source is the air conditioning unit, if your boat is so equipped. The drain
pan from the AC unit feeds into the shower sump, and a considerable amount
of water gets deposited into the sump over time. Once the wiring to the
pump fails, it is simply a matter of time before the sump overflows into the
forward bilge. Since the only natural way for water to enter the forward
bilge is due to the sump overflowing, Sea Ray didn't see fit to add a
secondary pump to the bilge area surrounding the sump. Eventually, the
forward bilge area will overflow and start to seep onto the cabin floor.

I know all this from personal experience. Been there done it. Mine has
failed twice over the years, but since I'm on the boat frequently, I've been
able to catch it early. I now make a point to run water from the shower
into the sump on a regular basis and listen for the pump to engage, just to
make sure the pump is operational.

RG

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...
You failed to read his post. His water problem was after it rained
heavily.

I did not. On my Sundancer, which is admittedly larger than his 250 but is
of the same vintage, there is absolutely no way for rainwater to enter the
forward bilge area directly. There is simply no way outside water has any
direct access whatsoever to that area, which is exactly why Sea Ray did not
install a bilge pump in the compartment. While it is possible that his 250
might be different than my 290, I highly doubt it. It is entirely possible
that there is a drain source that could route outside drainage water into
the sump. What my post suggests is that the water that is in the forward
bilge area did not enter the bilge directly, but rather through the
overflowing sump. This may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with
recent rains. My post was intended to suggest that the owner reverse his
thinking. He was wondering why the water in the bilge compartment was not
removed by the sump, and my post was intended to alert him that the sump
itself is very likely what put the water there in the first place. Perhaps
you missed the part where I mentioned that I've had it happen twice on my
boat.

In other words, I offered a potential diagnosis and solution based on
personal experience that required just a little bit of thinking outside the
box, a place your mind refused to be led, resulting in your comment which
offered a grand total of nothing.

Junior Member

I have a '97 SeaRay 270 DA (Sundancer) and have exactly the same problem as above (or below). I think that what has been suggested is accurate without any doubt. I have a couple of questions and hope thats SOMEONE!!! knows the answers as it's causing me lots and lots of grief.

Ok. 1. Assuming that the sump pump/bilge wiring needs replacing and that the sump pump itself has corroded wiring, how can access be made easily into the very tight cavity in which it is located. I would like ideally to remove the stair well from under which it resides but cannot work out how to do it??? Does anyone have any experience or ideas? I have contacted my local SeaRay dealer and they do not even have a manual for the deconstruction of the boats!!!!

2. Does anyone know for sure if the the other input into the sump (knowing that one of them is def. teh shower drain) is the air cond unit? I was guessing that it maybe the water tank overflow run off, but this is just a guess. I would love to know for sure. IF it is the ac, then how does it get water into it if I dont ever use the air con????

ok lastly,3. I also need a new boarding ladder and am finding it extremely difficult to locate an after market one. Not keen on paying A$900 for a new OEM ladder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

[...]

offered a grand total of nothing.[/quote]
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePete View Post
[...]

Pete, i just purchased a 2000 260 Sundancer and am having what appears to be similar issues. I have water (not lots, less than an inch or so but sometimes enough to get the carpet wet) in the front bilge compartments under the front most cushion in the v-berth and also in the area where the shower sump is. I have poured water down the shower drain and know it drains into the sump, the pump kicks on and pumps water out a thru hull fitting on the starboard side. Based on the manuals i have it believe you are correct that the second hose going in is from the a/c unit. The previous owner of my boat always had it under cover and ran the a/c frequently so i do not think the a/c is the issue. My water appeared after heavy rains this past weekend. I also noted water trapped in the porthole windows on either side. I am going to do some testing with a garden hose this weekend as my hypothesis is that water sits on the lip between the hull and the plexiglass and leaks slowly through the seal, down the inside of the hull, and gathers on the bilge floor. I'll let you know how it turns out and would appreciate anyone elses thoughts on this.

Tom

Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM
Oil use question Big Pop General 6 October 14th 05 11:02 AM
alternator, voltage regulator question Peter253 Cruising 12 October 14th 05 07:12 AM
OK a for real boat question Jim, General 12 October 12th 05 10:59 PM
Hey Peggie / Group - LactraSan question [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 10th 05 08:37 PM