RG

Default Sea Ray Sundancer Bilge Question

"Marty Schulze" wrote in message
Own a 1998 250DA. In this, or similar models, does anyone know if the
forward bilge (bow to bulkhead just aft of shower sump) is connected (as
in "drains") into the aft bilge (Engine compartment?) The aft bilge
remained dry (with it's bilge pump operating) during this weeks heavy
rains, but the forward bilge accumulated about 6 inches, flooding over the
cabin floor. Strangely, The isolated shower sump pump (liocated in the
forward bilge) does not allow surrounding bilge water in it's enclosure.
(Why not?)
If the two bilges are connected (under the fuel tank,) does anyone know of
ways or ideas as how to clear the path?

Marty on the NJ Shore
Sent 9:42 PM, October 16th, 2005

The two bilges are most not connected. That is why the aft bilge remained
dry. I believe that what you'll find is that the pump in the self-contained
shower sump has failed, and water has accumulated in the sump and overflowed
into the surrounding forward bilge and then onto the cabin floor. The lid
to the sump is not watertight. The pump inside the sump has its wiring
exposed to the water in the sump and is subject to corrosion. The pump is
still functional, but the wiring has corroded and a connection has been
broken. There is one wire that goes directly to the pump and another that
is interrupted by a float switch, which also resides in the sump. Remove
the four screws from the top of the sump and manually lift the float. This
would normally engage the pump, but if I'm correct, it will not due to the
broken connection. You will have to remove the water manually as best you
can from the forward bilge and the sump and then repair the broken wire. If
the wiring in the sump is too far gone, West Marine sells replacement
self-contained sump assemblies.

Where does the water come from? Obviously the shower, but a lesser known
source is the air conditioning unit, if your boat is so equipped. The drain
pan from the AC unit feeds into the shower sump, and a considerable amount
of water gets deposited into the sump over time. Once the wiring to the
pump fails, it is simply a matter of time before the sump overflows into the
forward bilge. Since the only natural way for water to enter the forward
bilge is due to the sump overflowing, Sea Ray didn't see fit to add a
secondary pump to the bilge area surrounding the sump. Eventually, the
forward bilge area will overflow and start to seep onto the cabin floor.

I know all this from personal experience. Been there done it. Mine has
failed twice over the years, but since I'm on the boat frequently, I've been
able to catch it early. I now make a point to run water from the shower
into the sump on a regular basis and listen for the pump to engage, just to
make sure the pump is operational.