Shorty

Default Johnson 28 hp fuel pump

I have a fuel pump, p/n 328781, with a defective gasket. At least, it leaks
gas on the vacuum side. I have priced the pump locally at $48 to $59. The
pump kit is at $25. The dealer did not recommend using the kit. I am now
looking on line for a replacement. I see a couple of pumps that looks
similar, but have different part numbers.
Has anyone have experience with putting in a fuel pump kit? Is it easy? I am
leaning towards buying a new pump with a difference part number, but looks
to be the same.
This is on a 1986, Johnson 28 hp, engine.

LD

A pump that looks the same but has a different part number may or may not
work. A different part number could have different valving or air passages
in several places. They could be set up for a 25, 28, or 30, same body but
set up different. I've changed several of these, usually due to a bad
diaphram. Unless your metal housing is damaged I'd go for the kit. For the
most part, it's just changing gaskets. Just be 100% sure you replace with
identical parts and orient them the same way. Look carefully before you
scrape one off and replace it.
LD
LD

Fuel Perks anyone? *JimH* General 11 October 22nd 05 04:22 PM
I forgot how to start a diesel wblakesx Cruising 8 October 17th 05 05:55 PM
FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6 gary Cruising 13 October 13th 05 10:59 PM
FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6 gary Cruising 0 October 6th 05 12:22 AM
FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6 gary Cruising 0 October 6th 05 12:22 AM