Shorty

Default Johnson 28 hp fuel pump

I have a fuel pump, p/n 328781, with a defective gasket. At least, it leaks
gas on the vacuum side. I have priced the pump locally at $48 to $59. The
pump kit is at $25. The dealer did not recommend using the kit. I am now
looking on line for a replacement. I see a couple of pumps that looks
similar, but have different part numbers.
Has anyone have experience with putting in a fuel pump kit? Is it easy? I am
leaning towards buying a new pump with a difference part number, but looks
to be the same.
This is on a 1986, Johnson 28 hp, engine.