gary

Default FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6

100:1 or 50:1 ??

Help!

Gary

Don White

gary wrote:
100:1 or 50:1 ??

Help!

Gary

My 1986 6hp Evinrude Yachtwin originally called for 100:1 after the
breakin period...*but* later that spec. was changed to 50:1.
I'd play it safe and go with 50:1.
jim thompson

motor was originally sold as 100 to 1 ...but later johnson/evinrude changed
there mind because of too many falures and recomended 50 to 1 ..i run 50 to
1 and have had no problems with my 86' 9.9
"gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
100:1 or 50:1 ??

Help!

Gary

Rich Hampel

definitely 50:1 after 1984

In article .com,
gary wrote:

100:1 or 50:1 ??

Help!

Gary

Meye5

if you have to ask such a basic question perhaps you have no business
operating said motor? you are a potential danger to all innocent
bystanders in the area where you operate this motor and vessel. may i
suggest you take up basket weaving or another indoor activity far away
from the public.

Don White

Meye5 wrote:
if you have to ask such a basic question perhaps you have no business
operating said motor? you are a potential danger to all innocent
bystanders in the area where you operate this motor and vessel. may i
suggest you take up basket weaving or another indoor activity far away
from the public.

I disagree. He came to a place where he could count on people with
similar experiences lurking. Another option would have been talking to
a Johnson dealer.
The people who shouldn't be around boats are the yahoos who refuse to
ask advice and do whatever strikes their fancy.
gary

Thank you all. Its not my engine, I'm just fixing it. I replaced the
head gasket and put in the carb kit, but it still smokes white on start
up. However, as the smoke goes away under load, I don't think we're
looking at a ring job - yet, in spite of burning 100:1 for a season.
The owner has been duly advised and admonished to mix his fuel to 50:1.

Oh! One more thing: 'Meye5", you are truly a sublime yet pathetic
asshole.

Gary

Larry

"gary" wrote in
oups.com:

The owner has been duly advised and admonished to mix his fuel to 50:1.

It's probably too late. All my 2-stroke marine engines have always run a
quart of TC-W3 to every 10 gallons, premixed. I think there's a sweet deal
between the EPA and the 2-stroke manufacturers.....

"You tell 'em to run 50:1 or 100:1 that'll wear the engines out faster, and
we'll let you continue to build such amazingly simple engines at such
amazing profit margins."

When I sold the Sea Rayder it was crowding 1000 hours on a 150hp 6-cyl
carb'd Mercury Sport Jet. It ran ratios less than 40:1 its whole
life....probably 30:1 or so in that tank. You could still see the hone
marks on the cylinder walls if you poked a borescope down in that spark
plug hole. Compression was more the day I sold it than it was the day I
bought it because the rings had "settled in"...(c;

If it ain't smokin'....it ain't lubin', either! It's a 2-stroke, you know.

--
Larry
Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:22:48 -0400, Larry wrote:

"You tell 'em to run 50:1 or 100:1 that'll wear the engines out faster, and
we'll let you continue to build such amazingly simple engines at such
amazing profit margins."
/// Compression was more the day I sold it than it was the day I
bought it because the rings had "settled in"...(c;

If it ain't smokin'....it ain't lubin', either! It's a 2-stroke, you know.

I don't even think outboard two strokes are that simple. The evinrude
55HP I stripped after it threw a rod, had roller bearing mains and con
rods - like you wish auto engines had.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Me

In article ,
Brian Whatcott wrote:

I don't even think outboard two strokes are that simple. The evinrude
55HP I stripped after it threw a rod, had roller bearing mains and con
rods - like you wish auto engines had.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

How do you install Roller Bearings on connecting rods? All the
Roller Bearings used in engines I have ever seen, were on
single cyl engine cranks that could be pressed on from each end.
I would think that any split shell Roller Bearing, would be less
robust than a regular shell bearing in the same application.

Me just wondering........