wblakesx

Default I forgot how to start a diesel

A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

Steve

First of all, I'm by now way an authority on diesel engines. However I have
about half dozen that I deal with, both on the boat and on land.

I wouldn't consider penetrating oil as a lubricant. If anything it will wash
off any oil that may already be on the cylinder walls. In the end, you
would have increased ring friction and reduced compression. Light
lubricating oil would have been better if the engine was able to be turned
over at all.

The amount of fuel you will see coming from the distribution ports on the
injection pump will be a metered amount, depending on the throttle
setting/governor. This metered amount will normally only be a droplet at the
top of each compression stroke. If you hook one of the injectors fuel lines
to both the pump and injector, bleed the air from the injector connection,
you should then see a very fine mist come from the injector nozzle. I often
do this with the injector pointing up and away from their cylinder head
locations. Don't put your hand or fingers in front of the nozzle because the
fuel comes out with enough force to penetrate the skin and raise a nasty
blister.

It helps to hold a piece of paper in front of the injector to see the mark
made by the fuel. It also helps to hold the paper behind the nozzle so you
can see the type or spray pattern. It should be conical and not just a
stream.

If you don't see a spray pattern at all and the fuel just drips out of the
nozzle opening, then you have an injector with a pintle that isn't seating
and it must go to the repair shop for service and adjustment. (this is
beyond the skill and equipment that a DIY boat mechanic has available.)

I suspect that you have sufficient fuel from the pump but you now have air
in the lines and injectors. Diesels just don't like any air in their lines
because it doesn't allow the fuel to be delivered to the injector in
sufficient pressure to lift the spring loaded pintle and inject the fuel.

With a properly operating diesel you can crank the engine by hand and hear
the a "creaking" or "click" sound as the fuel is squeezed into the injector
and builds up pressure.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW
--

"wblakesx" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

Capt John

You need to prime the injector pump, but also, make sure the shut off
solinoid is in the right position to allow fuel to be pumped. Some
solinoids shut the fuel supply off in the unpowered position, others
shut the flow down in the powered position. Look at the manual to be
sure.

Meye5

good grief, what an idiot!!!!

wblakesx

Thanks Steve, Capn John,
Very interesting advise penetrating oil.
There could, perhaps, be air in the lines leading to the pump as the
banjo washers are questionable, but the fuel is 1 1/2 - 2 ft above the
motor's fuel inlet so there is some pressure head with a relatively high
volume capacity on the suction or low pressure side of the
inj/distributor.
The only solenoid I see is the one on the gear drive which looks to
have an advance mechanism attached. I gather this solenoid is to advance
the injection but I'm not at all sure.
As it is , the engine was placed on it's bed maybe a year ago but not
hooked up. I have some diesel fuel in a jerry can placed well above the
motor ( a 105 hp chrysler-nissan 6cyl ). No wired controls, just the
solenoid I mentioned above and, on the injpump/distributor two levers
one of which I Assume is a stop device and the other evidently a
throttle. I played them to various postions while running the stat motor
in 5-8 sec burst, but through the whole sequence I only got a tear or so
of diesel showing in the connecter cups on top of the inj pump/distr,
where the output lines to the injector is. Thats for 30-40 secs or so of
cranking. The new battery double sized began to show power loss ( I had
cranked her another 40 secs or so previous to removing the inj lines ).
I'm reduced to the following possibilities: bad washer/o gasket rings (
but surely the high volume pressure head would avoid this ? ) , I'm
using the two levers on the pump/distr wrongly ( I tried all posistions
so this doesn't seem Highly likely ) , the pump is bad (
doubtful, it is said to be rebuilt and it does have fresh paint ),
there's something else that I'm missing totally. I have of course bled
the system to the second bleed on the inj pump.
I did replace a couple of the washer with copper one's, I don't feel at
all confident that they seated. I haven't yet replaced them with softer
ones ( some of the origionals were nylon, one of which leaked under
priming pump pressure ) since I can't get to the boat for afew days. I'm
trying to be as prepared as possible for the time I can spend with her.
Many thanks for the constructive remarks.

de java dave

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com

Stephen Trapani

wblakesx wrote:

[...]

I forget, have you bled the air out of the fuel lines? Good pump or not,
if you don't have some way of bleeding the air out, if there is air in
the lines, the thing won't start.

You can loosen the lines at the injectors while you turn it over, make
sure fuel bleeds out of each one.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos
wblakesx

Stephan,
I've been working with the distributer to injecter lines off. I'm
looking into the cups formed where the lines meet the distributer
body... for the compression fittings, that is. into the six little holes
on top of the distributer.
It looks like I won't be getting back to the boat till tues and that
may ne just to tow her.
Thanks...

de java dave

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com
Glenn A. Heslop

I'm not sure I'm following all the discussion. I do however have some
experience with my old Perkins. I have installed in the fuel feed a bulb
from an outboard motor so I can easily bleed with fuel system. Don't know
if that's helpful or not.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.net
www.seawing.net

"wblakesx" wrote in message
[...]

wblakesx

ta Glen. This diesel has a primer pump built in. Thanks for the try .

de java dave