wblakesx

Default I forgot how to start a diesel

Thanks Steve, Capn John,
Very interesting advise penetrating oil.
There could, perhaps, be air in the lines leading to the pump as the
banjo washers are questionable, but the fuel is 1 1/2 - 2 ft above the
motor's fuel inlet so there is some pressure head with a relatively high
volume capacity on the suction or low pressure side of the
inj/distributor.
The only solenoid I see is the one on the gear drive which looks to
have an advance mechanism attached. I gather this solenoid is to advance
the injection but I'm not at all sure.
As it is , the engine was placed on it's bed maybe a year ago but not
hooked up. I have some diesel fuel in a jerry can placed well above the
motor ( a 105 hp chrysler-nissan 6cyl ). No wired controls, just the
solenoid I mentioned above and, on the injpump/distributor two levers
one of which I Assume is a stop device and the other evidently a
throttle. I played them to various postions while running the stat motor
in 5-8 sec burst, but through the whole sequence I only got a tear or so
of diesel showing in the connecter cups on top of the inj pump/distr,
where the output lines to the injector is. Thats for 30-40 secs or so of
cranking. The new battery double sized began to show power loss ( I had
cranked her another 40 secs or so previous to removing the inj lines ).
I'm reduced to the following possibilities: bad washer/o gasket rings (
but surely the high volume pressure head would avoid this ? ) , I'm
using the two levers on the pump/distr wrongly ( I tried all posistions
so this doesn't seem Highly likely ) , the pump is bad (
doubtful, it is said to be rebuilt and it does have fresh paint ),
there's something else that I'm missing totally. I have of course bled
the system to the second bleed on the inj pump.
I did replace a couple of the washer with copper one's, I don't feel at
all confident that they seated. I haven't yet replaced them with softer
ones ( some of the origionals were nylon, one of which leaked under
priming pump pressure ) since I can't get to the boat for afew days. I'm
trying to be as prepared as possible for the time I can spend with her.
Many thanks for the constructive remarks.

de java dave

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com