Default Werner doesn't stand behind its paddles

" As for keeping your paddle and boat on your
vehicle, you can buy kayak and paddle bags. That will help protect
both."

You can have a functional and inexpensive (under $5) paddle bag by
purchasing a Remington Gun Sock at the sportings good section of
WalMart.

Plent long enough for take-apart kayak paddles, drawsting closure,
silicon-coated fabric. And it'll help a liitle to prevent dings and
scratches during transport.

Grip

I had warranty problems with Werners. Broke 2 of their WW paddles, one was
my clearly fault, rock wedge, the other was a delam problem and they would
NOT stand behind it. Love the paddles, but they don't hold up very well (
for me ).
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an odd problem with my paddle and I was wondering if anyone had
any suggestions. I'm almost ready to pitch it in the garbage. A few
weeks ago, a friend of mine was using my paddle and said she didn't
like it - it irritated her hands. She said when she finally buys a
kayak and paddle, she won't buy a fiberglass one like mine. I thought
nothing of it until it started to irritate my hands yesterday. The
shaft feels prickly when I run my hand along the length, and my palm
sparkled in the sun until I rinsed my hand in the lake.

It is a Werner fiberglass paddle, and it is 3.5 years old. It cost
$240. I splurged, but felt it would last a long time, so I am not
happy. Werner refuses to replace it since it is out of warranty (1
year), but they are sending me some shrink wrap stuff to put on. The
shrink wrap might work, but I'd have to cover the whole shaft - I don't
even want to touch it to carry it. What if I accidentally rub my eyes
with fiberglass fibers on my hands?

After pushing harder with Werner, they still refused to do anything for
me other than send me shrink wrap. They blamed me for leaving my paddle
in the cockpit of my boat (exposed to sun and the elements) during our
short (Vermont) paddling seasons. They say their paddles tend to last
20 years, but they take no responsibility when a paddle lasts 1/5 that
time. So I am wondering, how many of you leave your paddle in your boat

on your car for various lengths of time, vs. bringing it inside every
time?

Werner is being foolish because if I convince even one person to not
buy a Werner paddle, they would have been better off replacing mine.

I bought it from a local shop, and now I have dilema of where to buy a
replacement. I try to buy local and support small business owners, but
on the other hand, if I buy from EMS, REI, or L. L. Bean, I know I will
never have to worry about equipment failing before it should. Any
ideas?

I am thinking that spray paint may work better than shrink wrap. Any
comments?

Cathy

Sal's Dad

wrote
SNIP
REI and Bean carry many of the same standard kayaking items (Werner
paddles), and I doubt that under the circumstances they would be any more
supportive.

In my experience a primary reason to purchase from a reputable retailer is
that they will provide their customers with FAR more support than the
manufacturer can.

If my 9-year-old's composite paddle develops this kind of problem (and I
don't feel like putting a light epoxy coating on the shaft), we will simply
bring it back to Bean's for a refund, and replacement. It has always been
my experience that they take seriously their founder's policy: "I do not
consider a sale complete until goods are worn out and customer still
satisfied." I have many times returned items that wore out "prematurely"
after 5 years or more.

Similar experience at Costco today - My wife's Ipod froze up, still under
warranty. Rather than deal with the warranty policy, I went back to the
store (with no receipt). After the refund was processed, a guy from
electronics showed me how to "reset" it, to get it going. I was
embarrassed, and offered to undo the refund, but they said no, it was now
selling for $40 less, I might as well get a new one.

Sal's Dad

After reading all of this I am not sure it is sun degradation. It may
be some chemical thing going down.
I am almost surprised Werner does not want to see this thing.

Courtney

I used to work for Werner and I'm pretty certain it's not a chemical thing.
I believe it's UV damage and vibration from wear and tear being in the boat
on the car all the time. However I too am a little surprised that Werner
didn't ask to have the paddle sent in. The warranty person I'm sure has
their reasons.

Courtney

wrote in message
oups.com...
After reading all of this I am not sure it is sun degradation. It may
be some chemical thing going down.
I am almost surprised Werner does not want to see this thing.

Brian

Default Werners are good to me, but Bending Branches......

I have 2 werner paddles and they have been flawless. I beat the living
crap out of them on the river and they have stood the test of time to me
at least.
I did have a bent shaft wooden bending branches paddle that broke while
I was paddling. It was in teh water adn I was bracing, no rocks, nothing
to hard (not like my use of the werners) and Bending Branches didn't do
me as good as I thought they should have. I sent the broke paddle to
them and they said it was from abuse, for once in my life it wasn't, I
was making a brace move, and the best they did was replace the paddle
for cost. I took it since it was the best I could do. Oh it was a canoe
paddle not a kayak paddle. Still, I willnever buy another Bending
Branches paddle but will buy another Werner any day.
My $0.02

Thanks
Brian Nystrom

Brian wrote:
I have 2 werner paddles and they have been flawless. I beat the living
crap out of them on the river and they have stood the test of time to me
at least.
I did have a bent shaft wooden bending branches paddle that broke while
I was paddling. It was in teh water adn I was bracing, no rocks, nothing
to hard (not like my use of the werners) and Bending Branches didn't do
me as good as I thought they should have. I sent the broke paddle to
them and they said it was from abuse, for once in my life it wasn't, I
was making a brace move, and the best they did was replace the paddle
for cost. I took it since it was the best I could do. Oh it was a canoe
paddle not a kayak paddle. Still, I willnever buy another Bending
Branches paddle but will buy another Werner any day.
My $0.02

Perhaps their products have improved in recent years, but around here,
they used to be referred to as "Breaking Branches", as their wood
paddles tended to snap like twigs.
Bill Tuthill

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Perhaps their products have improved in recent years, but around here,
they used to be referred to as "Breaking Branches", as their wood
paddles tended to snap like twigs.

It (Bending Branches) does seem like and odd name for a paddle.
Maybe they should make a line of canoes called Leaking Logs.

The only Bending Branches paddle I've seen was used by a guy who
claimed "California has no class 5 rapids." So my buddy Boris
invited him on our annual Deer Creek trip. After one mile, a wrap,
and many swims, it looked like he was about to have a heart attack,
so we urged him to camp at a nice spot and walk out (upstream)
the next day. After the trip, he told us "Those weren't real rapids,
there were too many rocks in there."

On the plus side, his Bending Branches paddle did not break.