Default Werner doesn't stand behind its paddles

I have an odd problem with my paddle and I was wondering if anyone had
any suggestions. I'm almost ready to pitch it in the garbage. A few
weeks ago, a friend of mine was using my paddle and said she didn't
like it - it irritated her hands. She said when she finally buys a
kayak and paddle, she won't buy a fiberglass one like mine. I thought
nothing of it until it started to irritate my hands yesterday. The
shaft feels prickly when I run my hand along the length, and my palm
sparkled in the sun until I rinsed my hand in the lake.

It is a Werner fiberglass paddle, and it is 3.5 years old. It cost
$240. I splurged, but felt it would last a long time, so I am not
happy. Werner refuses to replace it since it is out of warranty (1
year), but they are sending me some shrink wrap stuff to put on. The
shrink wrap might work, but I'd have to cover the whole shaft - I don't
even want to touch it to carry it. What if I accidentally rub my eyes
with fiberglass fibers on my hands?

After pushing harder with Werner, they still refused to do anything for
me other than send me shrink wrap. They blamed me for leaving my paddle
in the cockpit of my boat (exposed to sun and the elements) during our
short (Vermont) paddling seasons. They say their paddles tend to last
20 years, but they take no responsibility when a paddle lasts 1/5 that
time. So I am wondering, how many of you leave your paddle in your boat

on your car for various lengths of time, vs. bringing it inside every
time?

Werner is being foolish because if I convince even one person to not
buy a Werner paddle, they would have been better off replacing mine.

I bought it from a local shop, and now I have dilema of where to buy a
replacement. I try to buy local and support small business owners, but
on the other hand, if I buy from EMS, REI, or L. L. Bean, I know I will
never have to worry about equipment failing before it should. Any
ideas?

I am thinking that spray paint may work better than shrink wrap. Any
comments?

Cathy

Bob P

wrote:
[...]

Fiberglass is a mild irritant but not especially dangerous. (I've seen
the Material Data Safety Sheets.)

I grind fiberglass ocassionally, getting a little dust in my eyes. The
discomfort passes once the normal tears clean things up. And my
opthomalogist has never noticed a thing.

If you like the paddle, either put the shrink wrap on or use a bit of
Sex Wax to protect the shaft and give you a bit more perch. And keep it
out of the sun.
Brian Nystrom

UV exposure can degrade paddle shaft materials, so I don't blame Werner
for not covering this under warranty. The good news is that it can be
repaired.

There are several ways to address this problem. The first thing you need
to do is to lightly wet sand the shaft with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
to remove any loose fibers. Once you've done that, you can either apply
the shink material that Werner provides or you can coat the shaft with
something. You could just use paddle or surfboard wax as was suggested
elsewhere, but since the resin matrix is already degraded, it would
probably be wise to protect it more than wax can. You can buy spray
clearcoat if you like the original color or you can paint it if you want
a new look.

I would give it a lick of clear coat or shellac. Once that is done some
Sex Wax as Bob noted will stop it from slipping and bothering you.
Shrink tube will work but it adds weight.

James Hill

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Cathy,

It sounds like you have serious sun-degradation of the fiberglass. I would
consider one of two options: 1) wet sand it, and then apply a coat of
clear coat, which would completely restore the shaft; or go with the shrink
wrap and take the additional weight. Then keep it out of the sun.

Neither your boat nor the paddle benefit from being left in the sun
unprotected. At very least cover the entire setup in the future.

What makes you think that items purchased from the retailers you mention
will do any better under the same unprotected conditions? I would expect
anything to suffer if left in the sun. REI and Bean carry many of the same
standard kayaking items (Werner paddles), and I doubt that under the
circumstances they would be any more supportive.

I have two Werner paddles, a fiberglass Camano, and a carbon fiber Kalliste,
and couldn't be happier. I've had no negative experiences, but I would
NEVER them in the sun for any period of time. If I absolutely had to leave
a boat exposed, I would at least place them inside a hatch to protect them.

I hope that you get this worked out, and that you have many pleasant
kayaking experiences yet to come.

Jim Hill

Michael Daly

On 7-Oct-2005, "James Hill" wrote:

or go with the shrink
wrap and take the additional weight. Then keep it out of the sun.

Cathy,

If you tend to move your hands around on the shaft a lot, the shrink wrap
will be of limited value. I hate getting glass fiber in my skin - if I
were you, I'd go with the varnish/clearcoat/paint after sanding to bury
the fibers permanently.

As James says - keep it out of the sun. If you want to leave it in the sun,
then try a UV resistant varnish and be prepared to redo it every few years.

Mike

OK, maybe I am being too harsh, since everyone things I'm nuts for
leaving my paddle in the cockpit of my kayak on the car. One thing
though - it seems like the resin coating is degraded evenly along the
entire shaft. If it was caused by sun, you'd think the center would be
worse because the blade end is deep inside the cockpit where one's feet
would be (i.e. more protected). Also, my backrest is homemade and I
fold it down over the paddle, covering about a foot's length of the
shaft. So that would protect it further.

Althoug it would be better for the kayak to be protected and not left
on the car, we do not have a garage (we live in a townhouse). In the
winter, they are stored in a friend's basement. I could take the kayas
off the car and put them in the grass alongside a patio, maybe covered
with a tarp, but I go kayaking about twice a week during the summer,
often alone, and it's a pain to take the kayak off the car and put it
back on 2 days later. Also I a sometimes spontaneous and decide to
leave work a litte early and go kayaking. If the kayak wasn't on my
car, I couldn't do that. I use the 505 UV protectant on the boats -
somehow never thought of putting it on the paddle. Up here (Vermont) it
seems lots of people leave their kayaks on their cars for extended
times.

One person asked if we used DEET. We don't.

Several people mentioned wet-sanding. Is that just what it sounds like
- making the paddle wet and then sanding it?

One person asked why I thought a product purchased at REI, EMS, or L.L.
Bean would stand up better. It wouldn't. But they have satisfaction
guarantees.

Jim Hill said "If I absolutely had to leave a boat exposed, I would at
least place them inside a hatch to protect them." I have doubts the
paddle would fit in the hatch, but I will see.

My second paddle (for 2nd boat) is a cheap, heavy paddle. I thought the
shaft was plastic, and I've never seen any degradation from the sun
even though it is twice as old as the Werner. But maybe it is aluminum
shaft...

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I was so hard on Werner. I did like the
paddle very much...

Cathy

Courtney

If you sand it make sure to do it very lightly so you don't wear the shaft
down and minimize its strength. As for keeping your paddle and boat on your
vehicle, you can buy kayak and paddle bags. That will help protect both.

Courtney

ups.com...