Sal's Dad

Default Werner doesn't stand behind its paddles

wrote
SNIP
REI and Bean carry many of the same standard kayaking items (Werner
paddles), and I doubt that under the circumstances they would be any more
supportive.

In my experience a primary reason to purchase from a reputable retailer is
that they will provide their customers with FAR more support than the
manufacturer can.

If my 9-year-old's composite paddle develops this kind of problem (and I
don't feel like putting a light epoxy coating on the shaft), we will simply
bring it back to Bean's for a refund, and replacement. It has always been
my experience that they take seriously their founder's policy: "I do not
consider a sale complete until goods are worn out and customer still
satisfied." I have many times returned items that wore out "prematurely"
after 5 years or more.

Similar experience at Costco today - My wife's Ipod froze up, still under
warranty. Rather than deal with the warranty policy, I went back to the
store (with no receipt). After the refund was processed, a guy from
electronics showed me how to "reset" it, to get it going. I was
embarrassed, and offered to undo the refund, but they said no, it was now
selling for $40 less, I might as well get a new one.

Sal's Dad