Mike

Default diesel lift pump, marine vs auto.

I've got a cummins 6bt5.9 with a leaky lift pump. The engine still
starts up, just a trace of diesel after a trip. AC Delco makes a pump
for Dodge Pickup that uses the same 6bt5.9, I think. The price
difference is about $15 buck (60 vs 75) so there is no big dollar
incentive, but the napa down the street has it and the cummins dealer
is clear across town.

Anyone got an opinion on using auto part vs marine.
Ed

On a gas engine I would say RUN!!!(Car fuel pumps can drip fuel) but I
used to own the same engines and routinely found that the Chrysler/Dodge
parts were identical to the Cummins parts. One exception...
airfilters.... Cummins had the steel mesh inside and outside assuring
that if they got wet you did not suck in a bunch of wet paper.

Mike wrote:
I've got a cummins 6bt5.9 with a leaky lift pump. The engine still
starts up, just a trace of diesel after a trip. AC Delco makes a pump
for Dodge Pickup that uses the same 6bt5.9, I think. The price
difference is about $15 buck (60 vs 75) so there is no big dollar
incentive, but the napa down the street has it and the cummins dealer
is clear across town.

Anyone got an opinion on using auto part vs marine.

Mike

Ed wrote in message . ..
On a gas engine I would say RUN!!!(Car fuel pumps can drip fuel) but I
used to own the same engines and routinely found that the Chrysler/Dodge
parts were identical to the Cummins parts. One exception...
airfilters.... Cummins had the steel mesh inside and outside assuring
that if they got wet you did not suck in a bunch of wet paper.

\

Thanks for the reply.
As luck would have it, I had to pass the Cummins dealer yesterday. So
I got the the pump there. But it is good to know that I can get other
parts there.
How many hours did you get on the engines? Any particular problems?
I've had these for about 10 years (3000+ hrs). I recently rebuild the
turbos, replaced the injectors, but no problems, always startup easy.

Thanks again.

Auto parts on marine motors? Shawn Willden General 28 July 19th 04 03:30 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump Steve Austin General 1 January 26th 04 06:48 PM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM
Elec Question Water Pump & DC [email protected] General 3 August 14th 03 05:30 AM