BoatBanter.com

-   -   diesel lift pump, marine vs auto. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5573-diesel-lift-pump-marine-vs-auto.html)

Mike July 15th 04 10:27 PM

diesel lift pump, marine vs auto.

I've got a cummins 6bt5.9 with a leaky lift pump. The engine still
starts up, just a trace of diesel after a trip. AC Delco makes a pump
for Dodge Pickup that uses the same 6bt5.9, I think. The price
difference is about $15 buck (60 vs 75) so there is no big dollar
incentive, but the napa down the street has it and the cummins dealer
is clear across town.

Anyone got an opinion on using auto part vs marine.

Ed July 16th 04 12:29 AM

diesel lift pump, marine vs auto.

On a gas engine I would say RUN!!!(Car fuel pumps can drip fuel) but I
used to own the same engines and routinely found that the Chrysler/Dodge
parts were identical to the Cummins parts. One exception...
airfilters.... Cummins had the steel mesh inside and outside assuring
that if they got wet you did not suck in a bunch of wet paper.

Mike July 17th 04 08:40 PM

Ed wrote in message . ..
On a gas engine I would say RUN!!!(Car fuel pumps can drip fuel) but I
used to own the same engines and routinely found that the Chrysler/Dodge
parts were identical to the Cummins parts. One exception...
airfilters.... Cummins had the steel mesh inside and outside assuring
that if they got wet you did not suck in a bunch of wet paper.

\

Thanks for the reply.
As luck would have it, I had to pass the Cummins dealer yesterday. So
I got the the pump there. But it is good to know that I can get other
parts there.
How many hours did you get on the engines? Any particular problems?
I've had these for about 10 years (3000+ hrs). I recently rebuild the
turbos, replaced the injectors, but no problems, always startup easy.

Thanks again.