Gary Warner

Default HELP! Water in bilge when running...

Bob,

I'm not directly knowledgeable about your boat or motor, so
my answers are based on my experience with possibly very
different boats & motors.

How much water would an open valve dump into the bilge.

I believe it could be anywhere from quite a bit to just a drip. On
our engine we have a block-drain valve that can be from full open
to full closed. If we ever closed it but not tightly enough it might
just drip.

Could this be a hull problem even though there is no water ingress when
the boat is docked? Could my movement be forcing water through a crack
in the hull, but remain watertight at dock?

YES. On my fiberglass boat I once hit a sandy bottom. I checked the bilge
and
saw no water. While running to home-dock a LOT of water entered the bilge.
I didn't notice until I slowed down to come into the dock and lots of water
ran forward. (Scarry!). Then I increased speed trying to get back to
dock before we sank. Turns out I should have gone slowly to dock because
it was the fast speed that was "pumping" the water into the crack. (End
of story: We didn't sink.)

Good Luck.
Gary

Bob D.

In article , "Gary Warner"
wrote:

YES. On my fiberglass boat I once hit a sandy bottom. I checked the bilge
and
saw no water. While running to home-dock a LOT of water entered the bilge.
I didn't notice until I slowed down to come into the dock and lots of water
ran forward. (Scarry!). Then I increased speed trying to get back to
dock before we sank. Turns out I should have gone slowly to dock because
it was the fast speed that was "pumping" the water into the crack. (End
of story: We didn't sink.)

So Gary, when you hauled your vessel out, were you able to see the crack
in the hull from your grounding? I bottom painted this beast and aside
from a few *SMALL* chips in the gel coat I could not find any cracks.

Check the rubber bellows and the rubber boot on the lower shift cable.
Shift cable boot can allow a lot of water in for its size. D

[...]

Water tank vent overboard or bilge orbital General 17 June 29th 04 10:56 PM
Water in the Bilge Ernie General 20 April 16th 04 04:20 AM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM
Hooking up flush muffs...no water coming out of discharge (outboard) GeorgeR General 3 October 13th 03 02:24 AM