Gary Warner

Default HELP! Water in bilge when running...

Bob,

I'm not directly knowledgeable about your boat or motor, so
my answers are based on my experience with possibly very
different boats & motors.

How much water would an open valve dump into the bilge.

I believe it could be anywhere from quite a bit to just a drip. On
our engine we have a block-drain valve that can be from full open
to full closed. If we ever closed it but not tightly enough it might
just drip.

Could this be a hull problem even though there is no water ingress when
the boat is docked? Could my movement be forcing water through a crack
in the hull, but remain watertight at dock?

YES. On my fiberglass boat I once hit a sandy bottom. I checked the bilge
and
saw no water. While running to home-dock a LOT of water entered the bilge.
I didn't notice until I slowed down to come into the dock and lots of water
ran forward. (Scarry!). Then I increased speed trying to get back to
dock before we sank. Turns out I should have gone slowly to dock because
it was the fast speed that was "pumping" the water into the crack. (End
of story: We didn't sink.)

Good Luck.
Gary