rock_doctor

Default The Andrea Gail had a gasoline engine

This was an interesting thread. I though the Andrea Gail, like her sister
ship, the Lady Grace were both powered by a single 12v71 detroit diesel.
This makes sense to me as the picture I did find of Lady Grace's engine room
showed a green engine block (although I would swear looks like a 6-71 not a
12v71 as stated).. I had a friend in high school whose father was a
shrimper and had a 72ft "boat" made around the same time at the same yard.
It also had a single 12v-71 so I think this was the engine of choice at that
yard. But I found a site that had pictures of the Andrea Gail taken by an
insurance inspector in 1990 showing a nice image of the main engine, which
was a Caterpillar. I guess she had been repowered at some point. All links
are listed below.

about the Lady Grace: http://perfectstorm.warnerbros.com/cmp/dispatch1.html

images of the Lady Grace:
http://www.andreagail.com/The_Andrea...drea_gail.html

insurance images of the Andrea Gail:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/moa/fvagphotos.htm

JAXAshby

schlackoff, you are too stupid for words, but let me walk you through this.

Jox, please tell us all why you claim:

1) it's absolutely impossible to clean a diesel engine's injectors.

by a drunken, nervous, anxious crew the night before sailing?

because the capt would not let anyone do something so foolish, and because
cleaning fuel injectors is major work requiring special tools, and because
bending any of the fuel lines going to any injector requires replacing the fuel
line with new.

2) it's absolutely impossible to clean a diesel engine's glow plugs.

how are you going to clean them? Take them out and wipe them on your jeans?
To what purpose?

3) it's absolutely impossible to clean a diesel engine's electrical
connections.

electrical connentions on a seagoing vessel are not plugs.

We're awaiting your answers to these questions

no, "we" were not. "you" were awaiting in hopes of filling yet another major
gap in your undersanding of the universe.
JAXAshby

schlackoff, you are saying that a nervouse drunken fishing boat crew would --
could? -- clean the fuel injectors the night before sailing?

why would you say anything like that? have you no idea what is involved in
cleaning fuel injectors? Also, do you think injectors are cleaned just for the
hell of it?

schlackoff, wanna tell us why glow plugs might be cleaned by drunken fishing
boat crew the night before sailing?

schlackoff, wanna tell us which electrical connections on a diesel engine are
referred to as "plugs", and also why such might be cleaned the night before
sailing by drunken fishing boat crew?

There you have it. Joxie claims it's impossible to clean a diesel
engine's injectors. Joxie claims it's impossible to clean glow plugs.
Joxie claims it's impossible to clean electrical connections.

JAXAshby

Wasn't the problem with the ice-maker, that the spark plugs were
fouling-out?
And, didn't the plugs eventually burn up from the fouling? After being
cleaned numerous times?

the "plugs" cited were for the engine. The author was adding "color" and
didn't know that diesel engines don't have plugs. Neither did his editors, at
least for the first edition. I assume the error was corrected in later
editions.