JAXAshby

Default The Andrea Gail had a gasoline engine

shen, it was **IRONY** from the very start. do you know what irony means? If
so, why do you seem to not get it even after all these many days?

shen? do you want every last person on this ng to absolutely, positively,
without question **know** you are really, really, really dumb?

If not, why in hell did you write thusly:

ROFLMAO Oh please Oh Most Knowing .... Please tell me how the winches,
refigeration systems (if used) are driven.

You've never been within 200 feet of one of these boats,but typically
consider
yourself an expert .... please feel free to teach us all.... be my guest....
doubt one valid piece of information will come of this.

ROFLMAO

Shen

There's been plenty published about the Andrea Gail. Ships of that size,
design, type, and vintage don't have gasoline engines for main
propulsion or for generating main power. Period. But the ship might have
had some sort of aux. gasoline powered equipment, such as a winch. More
than likely, it simply was a mistake in the first draft and corrected

later.

Not gonna find gasoline powered equipment, other than an outboard.
Winches will be hydraulic or electric, driven from the main or generator.

JAXAshby

sorry but that I confused you, shen. too many big words I now realize.

shen, I don't really believe that boat had a gas engine. really don't. never
did. I just found it amusing the author didn't know diesel engines don't have
spark plugs. I gather the you, shen, didn't know either unti Friday afternoon
sometime.

shen, it was **IRONY** from the very start. do you know what irony means?
If
so, why do you seem to not get it even after all these many days?

**IRONY** or not, as expected, as per usual, you are incapable of answering
any
question posed, regarding any subject.
Might I suggest that when you learn a new word, such as "irony", that you try
it out in a political NG where your degree of intelligence will match if not
exceed, those of the other respondents.

Shen

Gould 0738

sorry but that I confused you, shen. too many big words I now realize.

shen, I don't really believe that boat had a gas engine. really don't.
never
did. I just found it amusing the author didn't know diesel engines

Time out.

Jax, you're having way too much fun for a guy who has yet to prove his point.
Please quote, verbatim, from the book (any
edition) the passages where you claim the author refers to a gasoline engines
or spark plugs aboard "Andrea Gail."

rock_doctor

This was an interesting thread. I though the Andrea Gail, like her sister
ship, the Lady Grace were both powered by a single 12v71 detroit diesel.
This makes sense to me as the picture I did find of Lady Grace's engine room
showed a green engine block (although I would swear looks like a 6-71 not a
12v71 as stated).. I had a friend in high school whose father was a
shrimper and had a 72ft "boat" made around the same time at the same yard.
It also had a single 12v-71 so I think this was the engine of choice at that
yard. But I found a site that had pictures of the Andrea Gail taken by an
insurance inspector in 1990 showing a nice image of the main engine, which
was a Caterpillar. I guess she had been repowered at some point. All links
are listed below.

about the Lady Grace: http://perfectstorm.warnerbros.com/cmp/dispatch1.html

images of the Lady Grace:
http://www.andreagail.com/The_Andrea...drea_gail.html

insurance images of the Andrea Gail:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/moa/fvagphotos.htm

JAXAshby

schlackoff, NObody "cleans" fuel injectors on a diesel the night before leaving
on an ocean trip, and NObody cleans the glow plugs either. btw, wanna tell us
just how glow plugs are cleaned by the crew?

also, why in hell do fishing boats "often do a teardown" (your words, see
below) on a engine to do a major overhaul (as you as described, see below)
"between such trips"? (your words, see below)

Your mistake is assuming that he meant "spark" plugs when he said plugs

I made no mistake at all. the author made the mistake, I just noticed it. you
schlackoff, on the other hand, STILL are not sure that maybe the author was
right and the crew cleaned the plugs the night before they left.

he AUTHOR stated the crew cleaned the plugs on the engine the night
before the boat sailed, so ****therefore it has to be true**** doesn't it.

perhaps the irony slipped by you, jim?

Not only would they "clean the plugs" on a diesel before they take off
on a trip like that, but they'll often do a teardown between such trips.
Maybe replace the liners, pistons, bearings, whatever shows signs of
wear. Notice he didn't say spark plugs. Diesel injectors could also be
called plugs since they, just like spark plugs, *plug* a hole in the
cylinder head. Glow plugs are also called plugs because they also plug
a hole.

Your mistake is assuming that he meant "spark" plugs when he said plugs.
And from there you took it to the height of stupidity by claiming:
"The Andrea Gail had a gasoline engine."

The only irony is that you're able to figure out how to post to a
newsgroup.

Steve

JAXAshby

schlackoff, you are too stupid for words.

schlackoff, diesel engines with spark plugs are called "multi-fuel" engines

and
are rare.

Which proves you can't read. It didn't say "spark" plugs.

schlackie, you were caught with a fish hook in your mouth.

Joxitchbe, you were caught in yet another blunder. Add it to the list.

Steve

For sure it did, for the author specificly mentioned the crew of the
ill-fated
vessel was so anxious about the trip that they went to the boat the night
before leaving to clean the plugs on the engine.

One sentence, just one sentence, but it clearly shows the Andrea Gail had

gasoline engine. At least in the First Edition (for those out there who
know
what a First Edition is, the rest of you can go fry an egg).

THAT's it? That's what you're basing your assertion that the Andrea
Gail had a gas engine on? No mention of the type of engine? No mention
of fuel? Jax, FYI, diesel engines can have plugs also. So it could
have been a diesel engine and the author not even be wrong in his
statement. If he had actually said it was a gas engine, he surely would
have been wrong.

Since you know so much about gas engines, what model gas engine do you
think it had?

Steve