Chris

Default old merc, controls

What are the proper ways to start a 70's merc? This would include the use
of the electric choke, the manual choke perhaps, and the cold start lever???
(small lever at the control unit)

Matt Lang

"Chris" wrote in message ...
What are the proper ways to start a 70's merc? This would include the use
of the electric choke, the manual choke perhaps, and the cold start lever???
(small lever at the control unit)

I have a 1968 1250 Merc I6.... It starts easily like this:

- pump the fuel line bulb until its hard and then 2-3 more squeezes
- activate manual choke (puch button solenoid)
- throttle on idle.
- start

My motor starts instantly when its cold .. when its warm the same
procedure works but with more throttle ..

Matt

Matt Lang

No. When the motor is cold I start it on idle or just a little above
and it starts fine.

When the motor is warm sometimes it needs more throttle.. I would
guess around 50% throttle ....

It is important to have pumped the pumpball thing in the fuel line
until its hard and then maybe 3 more pumps

Matt

"Chris" wrote in message m...
so do you move the throttle level all the way forward?

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...