BoatBanter.com

-   -   old merc, controls (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5390-old-merc-controls.html)

Chris July 5th 04 09:35 PM

old merc, controls

What are the proper ways to start a 70's merc? This would include the use
of the electric choke, the manual choke perhaps, and the cold start lever???
(small lever at the control unit)

Matt Lang July 6th 04 06:05 AM

old merc, controls

"Chris" wrote in message ...
What are the proper ways to start a 70's merc? This would include the use
of the electric choke, the manual choke perhaps, and the cold start lever???
(small lever at the control unit)

I have a 1968 1250 Merc I6.... It starts easily like this:

- pump the fuel line bulb until its hard and then 2-3 more squeezes
- activate manual choke (puch button solenoid)
- throttle on idle.
- start

My motor starts instantly when its cold .. when its warm the same
procedure works but with more throttle ..

Matt

Matt Lang July 8th 04 04:19 PM

old merc, controls

No. When the motor is cold I start it on idle or just a little above
and it starts fine.

When the motor is warm sometimes it needs more throttle.. I would
guess around 50% throttle ....

It is important to have pumped the pumpball thing in the fuel line
until its hard and then maybe 3 more pumps

Matt

"Chris" wrote in message m...
so do you move the throttle level all the way forward?

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...