Scott G.

Default How to rig an old sunfish

I was recently given an old sunfish (probably from early 1970) and
I've got some rigging questions. I downloaded the file from vanguard
and this helped somewhat.

First, how does the halyard attach to the upper boom? Is it just tied?
If so, which knot?

The lower boom is missing the two blocks for the mainsheet. On newer
sunfishes I saw that the blocks are attached with an eyestrap rivited
to the boom. On my sunfish there is only one hole for each block, so
I am guessing they attached with an eyebolt or something. Is this
correct?

On the newer models there and a mainsheet swivel block mounted on the
deck. If I purchase one of these can I screw it right to the deck or
does there need to be some support from underneath (which I don't have
access too).

--Scott G.
trainfan1

Scott G. wrote:
I was recently given an old sunfish (probably from early 1970) and
I've got some rigging questions. I downloaded the file from vanguard
and this helped somewhat.

First, how does the halyard attach to the upper boom? Is it just tied?
If so, which knot?

Tied... see:

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/tuning_guide.pdf

and:

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/cleats.gif

I use a knot similar to one I use for fishline snap swivels & tackle...
I have no idea what it's called...

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/boomblockarticle.htm

On the newer models there and a mainsheet swivel block mounted on the
deck. If I purchase one of these can I screw it right to the deck or
does there need to be some support from underneath (which I don't have
access too).

Here is the popular Harken swivel cam cleat:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=19932

and here is the similar Schaefer swivel cam:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=16454

we've installed either one right at the cockpit lip ahead of the
fairlead hook so as not to interfere with it's normal operation.

Rob