Shawn

Default Removable Rowing Rig for Sunfish

I am 40 years old and recall an article in Popular Mechanics or some
such magazine back in the late 60's or early 70's, (yes! 30 years ago)
that has been driving me crazy. I am hoping that someone has a copy or
at least is able to confirm my memory! It was one of those two or
three page articles featuring a man that had made a rowing rig for his
Sunfish. No, this is not the one that appears in the Sunfish Bible. I
bought the book, it is not the same (not sure that I can agree with a
rowing rig which calls for drilling holes in the deck!?)

I recall the basic elements but could really use the measurements etc.
The rig called for one board to fit inside the cockpit with another
longer board on top extending out past the sides of the deck. These
boards where attached with thumb screws so that when tightned they
sandwhiched the deck between them.

I do not remember how the oar locks were made, but the article
proposed using cut off broom sticks for the oars with shaped and
curved lucite or plexiglas for the paddles. I remember two screws
being used to secure the paddle to the end of the broom stick which
had a curved wedge sawn out to accomodate the shape of the paddle.

I would love to get my hands on this article again, as I would like to
have the option of going rowing on no wind days, and of course for my
sanity!
Don White

A guy with a CL 16 daysailer was working on the same thing.
He tried to fabricate a 'U' shape fitting over the gunwale that would accept
oarlocks.
He's now sailing somewhere on the north coast of Nova Scotia and hasn't
contiributed to the CL newsgroup lately.
When he does, I'll ask him how it worked

om...