trainfan1

Default How to rig an old sunfish

Scott G. wrote:
I was recently given an old sunfish (probably from early 1970) and
I've got some rigging questions. I downloaded the file from vanguard
and this helped somewhat.

First, how does the halyard attach to the upper boom? Is it just tied?
If so, which knot?

Tied... see:

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/tuning_guide.pdf

and:

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/cleats.gif

I use a knot similar to one I use for fishline snap swivels & tackle...
I have no idea what it's called...

The lower boom is missing the two blocks for the mainsheet. On newer
sunfishes I saw that the blocks are attached with an eyestrap rivited
to the boom. On my sunfish there is only one hole for each block, so
I am guessing they attached with an eyebolt or something. Is this
correct?

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/boomblockarticle.htm

On the newer models there and a mainsheet swivel block mounted on the
deck. If I purchase one of these can I screw it right to the deck or
does there need to be some support from underneath (which I don't have
access too).

Here is the popular Harken swivel cam cleat:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=19932

and here is the similar Schaefer swivel cam:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=16454

we've installed either one right at the cockpit lip ahead of the
fairlead hook so as not to interfere with it's normal operation.

Rob