tillius

Default cleaning, renewing canvas

The boat I bought has a ?bimini? top of canvas. It is very discolored
(dark blotches that almost look like mildew, but it doesn't smell of
mildew.

What can I use to clean it or is painting it with something doable?

I was thinking of using the 'rubberized' paint you can get at the big
boxes to paint it white and make it look presentable.

Thanks in advance

Tillman
AMD Rules

tillius wrote:
The boat I bought has a ?bimini? top of canvas. It is very discolored
(dark blotches that almost look like mildew, but it doesn't smell of
mildew.

What can I use to clean it or is painting it with something doable?

I was thinking of using the 'rubberized' paint you can get at the big
boxes to paint it white and make it look presentable.

Thanks in advance

Tillman

The boat I just acquired was in similar condition (1980 munbro 16ft c/w
1969 40hp evinrude selectric). I used Spray Nine and it did quite a
remarkable job on the white canvas. It even made the blackened windows
appear almost transparent although I plan on replacing them anyways. I
think a few more treatments and scrubbing with spray nine will have the
canvas looking quite respectable. I'm sure there are a variety of
special purpose cleaners for canvas, but the spray nine is cheap and
plentiful.
Rod McInnis

"tillius" wrote in message
om...

What can I use to clean it or is painting it with something doable?

I can't imagine painting the canvas.

Once a year I take my canvas down and use the pressure washer on it. Does
wonders, especially on the seams!

Rod

Garth Almgren

Around 6/24/2004 12:37 PM, Rod McInnis wrote:

"tillius" wrote in message
om...

What can I use to clean it or is painting it with something doable?

I can't imagine painting the canvas.

Once a year I take my canvas down and use the pressure washer on it. Does
wonders, especially on the seams!

A combination of Simple Green, a brush with stiff nylon bristles, and
some elbow grease will work miracles on both canvas and vinyl.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

fuel tank cleaning kozmo6969 General 3 June 11th 04 07:00 PM
Holding tank cleaning cwest General 6 June 10th 04 08:34 PM
mildew - upholstery cleaning Charles T. Low General 5 May 25th 04 12:44 PM
Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!) Lloyd Sumpter General 23 March 16th 04 10:38 PM
Cleaning/Conditioning Canvas Lloyd Sumpter General 5 July 16th 03 12:41 AM