Charles T. Low

Default mildew - upholstery cleaning

First I must stop rain-water leaks and improve ventilation - different
thread.

But for now I have some mildewed cabin upholstery. Some of the cushions are
not practically removable without destroying them(?).

Having talked to a few local experienced boaters and read some archived
rec.boats material, I'm thinking of wet vacuuming it, and then cleaning it
with a dilute vinegar solution.

I'm not so concerned if there's a little pigmentation left afterwards, as
long as it's dead. (This is a good working boat, but not a "show boat.") And
so far, odor hasn't been a big problem. I just need to stop this process
from spreading.

(Even if I can clean the uphostery, what about the cushion foam inside ...
?)

Does my plan seem sound? Thanks to all.

Charles

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

John

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message . ..
[...]

Charles, is this white nylon material your looking to clean up? If it
is I've been using Weatlies (not sure of the spelling) white wall tire
cleaner. But beware, it has bleach in it, kills mildew but can damage
colored fabrics, so wet them down well before cleaning and rinse off.
But it really works well with one of those abbrasive kitchen pads.
Joe Blizzard

"John" wrote
I've been using Weatlies (not sure of
the spelling) white wall tire cleaner.

You mean this stuff? http://westleys.com/internal_pages/Bleche-White.htm

Proxy

Bleach is the best known mildew killer. Depending on how tough the job is,
what needs to be cleaned and your desperation level you need to spray and
wash away (if upholstery considered, otherwise you may leave it to dry) with
a diluted bleach 1 to 10 or 20 (just a guess ...???). I've done it many
times on different occasions and different tasks. White-wall cleaner seems
to be also bleach based. Tilex and mildew-removers-cleaners work well too.
Try with a really weak solution first. Do the color test. On fabrics 2-3
tablespoons per liter. Spray it over the part of area. wait 5-30 min. Use
lots of white (10%) viegear solution (same proportions or stronger) to
terminate bleaching afterwards. Vinigear is used to stabilize fabric dyes so
I doubt if it's going to leave any stains whatsoever. After cleaning keep
your cabin dry and well ventilated.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"John" wrote
I've been using Weatlies (not sure of
the spelling) white wall tire cleaner.

You mean this stuff? http://westleys.com/internal_pages/Bleche-White.htm

Charles T. Low

Thanks to all for the information.

Further clarification: I do have a white fitted sheet with bad mildew
staining, which the washing machine hasn't been able to clean, but my just
discard it. The main problem is colored upholstery fabric.

Charles

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Proxy" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

Florida Keyz

Careful with the bleach on the threads of the vynal, it will eat it.

Mold & Mildew on fabric in Cabin Wklkj General 5 April 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Cleaning Bow Covers Jay General 3 April 23rd 04 12:06 AM
redoing upholstery MikeG General 4 March 24th 04 02:05 PM
Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!) Lloyd Sumpter General 23 March 16th 04 10:38 PM
mildew Robert White General 7 September 21st 03 03:40 AM