Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cleaning/Conditioning Canvas

Hi,

I have "full" canvas for my 12ft aluminum skiff. It's in good shape,
because it's been stored away. BUT, it's also very stiff and hard to get
on (and dirty).

Any recommendations for how to clean and condition it? ArmorAll?

Lloyd

Doug Kanter

Armorall....hell no. Too greasy. I'd clean it with a mild soap like Woolite,
using another piece of rough cloth like a cheap bathroom washcloth. Follow
with ScotchGuard, but not until you'd hung it up over a clothesline or
something, and let it dry thoroughly. If the Woolite doesn't do the job,
baking soda paste may help, especially if you're dealing with mildew stains.

Sun will also bleach out a lot of stains, although I have to admit I've
observed this mostly with food-based stains.
-Doug

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have "full" canvas for my 12ft aluminum skiff. It's in good shape,
because it's been stored away. BUT, it's also very stiff and hard to get
on (and dirty).

Any recommendations for how to clean and condition it? ArmorAll?

Lloyd

DJ

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have "full" canvas for my 12ft aluminum skiff. It's in good shape,
because it's been stored away. BUT, it's also very stiff and hard to get
on (and dirty).

Any recommendations for how to clean and condition it? ArmorAll?

Lloyd

Lloyd, I'm assuming this is the typical boat top material - nylon or dacron
or whatever it is, not cotton canvas. But maybe you really have cotton
canvas, in which case I have no idea of the proper care! I have what is
probably a typical "canvas" on my boat - it is a heavy synthetic cloth
material like backpacks are made of with an inner waterproof coating. Some
tops I've had in the past have an exterior, smooth vinyl coating, and I've
always cleaned them both the same way, for better or worse.

I've always just washed it with the same stuff I wash down the boat with - a
soft/medium brush, with soapy water. I generally use "soap" that is
supposed to be for washing cars or boats, or just use some 409 or general
household cleaner if that's what I have on hand), and of course rinse
thoroughly. I condition with the "303 protectant" stuff that's similar to
Armorall, but "better" (it was recommended by the folks who made my boat
top.) Now I see they make a "Hi Tech Fabric Guard" which I'm going to try
next time I clean the top, since the surface is not smooth like vinyl, but
like cloth. FWIW, I use 303 protectant for everything I used to use
Armorall before - car dash, plastic stuff I wanted to make look good, etc.
etc.

The following site seems to be a reasonable guide - since it's similar to
what I do 8-). It talks about stains, something I haven't had to deal with.

http://www.bestboatcare.com/Cleanyou...tureBiminiTopB

By the way, I've found that these synthetic cloth boat tops tend to "shrink"
over time and get harder to snap into place. I recommend setting it up
regularly even if you don't need it, just to keep it in shape. I don't know
why. With a previous boat, I had the main top, plus an extension (with
clear side curtains, back curtain, etc) that went all the way back to the
transom. Both sections were made of the same material at the same time and
fit fine when I first bought the boat. I virtually never used the extension
and used the main section regularly. After several years, the main one
still fit fine, the extension was nearly impossible to snap into place.

Also, it's always easier to put up the top if it's nice and warm outside -
this might help the stiffness you're talking about.

DJ

Doug Kanter

I don't know about the conditioning, Lloyd. In the back of my mind, I'm
remembering camping with my grandfather. When his canvas tent was new, it
was stiff. As it aged, it softened. How often do you really need to handle
it? For covering a boat, maybe stiffer is better.

[...]

Keith

Sunbrellas web site says to wash with a soft brush and plain soap like ivory
snow. However, ivory snow is more of a detergent now, but it's still gentle
so that's what I use.

They recommend using 303 waterproofing (NOT 303 protectant, a product that's
used like armorall). Be careful with this, one has a green label, the other
blue, and they are NOT interchangeable. Don't ask me how I know this. This
stuff will work with canvas that is 5 years old or less very well! However,
if your canvas is older, it won't work.

For that matter, neither will scotchgard, thompson's water seal, or
Starbrite's canvas waterproofing. I'm about to try MaryKate's canvas
waterproofing... it was recommended by several folks. I'll let everyone know
how it works.

--

Keith
__