Robert Olson

Default Evinrude quits when it warms up

My 1973 65 horse Evinrude was running fine and suddenly developed a
problem. It starts fine, buts quits when it warms up. The spark seemed
fine, so I changed gas hoses and tanks. Then I replaced the fuel pump
and all the fuel lines. Then I suspected the leaf valves, so I took it
apart. The leaf valves look and feel OK. When I turn the crankshaft by
hand I can hear air sighing out of the cylinders on the compression
strokes. That sounds like bad rings, but it has a new powerhead with
about one hundred hours of use. Remember that it starts and runs and
then quits when it warms up!

Tony Thomas

Sounds like you have a coil or stator opening up after it gets hot. Check
the ignition system when it dies. My guess is you don't have spark.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Robert Olson" wrote in message
My 1973 65 horse Evinrude was running fine and suddenly developed a
problem. It starts fine, buts quits when it warms up. The spark seemed
fine, so I changed gas hoses and tanks. Then I replaced the fuel pump
and all the fuel lines. Then I suspected the leaf valves, so I took it
apart. The leaf valves look and feel OK. When I turn the crankshaft by
hand I can hear air sighing out of the cylinders on the compression
strokes. That sounds like bad rings, but it has a new powerhead with
about one hundred hours of use. Remember that it starts and runs and
then quits when it warms up!

Dan Krueger

Sounds like a 1999 40 hp Mercury I had when I let the gas get old. A thorough
carb cleaning made it run like new. Same symptoms and I have no idea why it was
running fine when it was cold.

Dan

Robert Olson wrote:

My 1973 65 horse Evinrude was running fine and suddenly developed a
problem. It starts fine, buts quits when it warms up. The spark seemed
fine, so I changed gas hoses and tanks. Then I replaced the fuel pump
and all the fuel lines. Then I suspected the leaf valves, so I took it
apart. The leaf valves look and feel OK. When I turn the crankshaft by
hand I can hear air sighing out of the cylinders on the compression
strokes. That sounds like bad rings, but it has a new powerhead with
about one hundred hours of use. Remember that it starts and runs and
then quits when it warms up!

wreckless1

Had a similar problem on an old evinrude, turned out to be the coils.
Problem got worse over time until it was almost impossible to start. The
coils dry out from age. My marina operator knew what it was as soon as he
saw how old the motor was. Had them replaced and it ran great for years
afterward. It was only a 10 horse though.

HELP! Evinrude 48 SPL Bear General 1 May 24th 04 08:01 PM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Evinrude Model Year? DJ General 2 September 13th 03 09:35 AM
advise on evinrude motoer plese vtv001 General 2 September 2nd 03 06:04 AM
evinrude 4 HP 2 cyl runs rough Jan General 6 August 5th 03 10:27 PM