BoatBanter.com

-   -   Evinrude quits when it warms up (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4947-evinrude-quits-when-warms-up.html)

Robert Olson June 7th 04 12:09 PM

Evinrude quits when it warms up

My 1973 65 horse Evinrude was running fine and suddenly developed a
problem. It starts fine, buts quits when it warms up. The spark seemed
fine, so I changed gas hoses and tanks. Then I replaced the fuel pump
and all the fuel lines. Then I suspected the leaf valves, so I took it
apart. The leaf valves look and feel OK. When I turn the crankshaft by
hand I can hear air sighing out of the cylinders on the compression
strokes. That sounds like bad rings, but it has a new powerhead with
about one hundred hours of use. Remember that it starts and runs and
then quits when it warms up!

Tony Thomas June 7th 04 11:25 PM

Evinrude quits when it warms up

Sounds like you have a coil or stator opening up after it gets hot. Check
the ignition system when it dies. My guess is you don't have spark.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Dan Krueger June 8th 04 12:18 AM

Evinrude quits when it warms up

Sounds like a 1999 40 hp Mercury I had when I let the gas get old. A thorough
carb cleaning made it run like new. Same symptoms and I have no idea why it was
running fine when it was cold.

Dan

wreckless1 June 8th 04 01:51 AM

Evinrude quits when it warms up

Had a similar problem on an old evinrude, turned out to be the coils.
Problem got worse over time until it was almost impossible to start. The
coils dry out from age. My marina operator knew what it was as soon as he
saw how old the motor was. Had them replaced and it ran great for years
afterward. It was only a 10 horse though.