Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Melandre

Default Ridiculous Rebuilt Estimate?

The mechanic (from a reputable marine repair shop) found water in the
cylinders and bellows and, without knowing exactly what the problem is,
he says it is quite major (cracked block, head gasket, etc...). He
says he should probably push further (diagnose) only if I want to
commit to a rebuilt (as opposed to replacing the engine). They tell me
that whatever way I look at it, it should be at the minimum around
$5000 Cdn (approx. $4200 US).

The boat is a 1990 Bayliner with OMC Cobra 2.3L. I am talking to
people and a few think this is crazy and that I should be able to
simply buy (assuming I can find one around!) an already rebuilt engine
for approx. $1000 US and then maybe 7-8 hours of a mechanic time to
install it. All in all they say that I should be able to fix my boat
for approx. $2000.

Of course, that sounds better than the $5000+ that the mechanic is
talking about or the $11,000 Cdn they suggested it would cost to put a
new Mercruiser 3.0L in it. Any comments, suggestions, ideas? I live
in Vancouver, BC but can easily go to Washington to get a motor.

Speaking of motor, how heavy are they? If I was to attend to replace
my OMC 2.3L, would I need to have access to a special lift to extract
it or could it be done by 2 or 3 men?

Andre

Rebuilt Engine for 89 Bayliner 2.3 ford cobra [email protected] General 4 June 15th 05 07:08 PM
How to assess the value and reliability of an old but rebuilt outboard Sailman General 6 September 30th 04 10:09 AM
Rebuilt Gensets Dan Olstad General 0 July 27th 04 10:54 PM
Any experience with Rebuilt Inboard Marine Engines? bhtiek General 6 September 22nd 03 09:38 PM
6 Mile Paddle, Estimate Time Needed jreynolds9 General 5 July 15th 03 02:17 AM