jreynolds9

Default 6 Mile Paddle, Estimate Time Needed

I am hoping that someone could give me a good estimate on how long it
would take to paddle a canoe across a nice, calm 6 mile lake with two
people. My wife and I will be backcountry camping at Glacier National
Park this August and part of the leg of our trip is to paddle 6 miles
to the first campsite on Kintla Lake. We have a tight schedule on our
return trip and it would help to estimate how long we will be on the
water with a loaded canoe. Any comments would be appreciated!

jreynolds9

Pete & Bill,

Thanks for your information on the estimated times. We will have a
long day ahead of us on our last leg of our trip. Our morning will
start with a 6 mile hike and then a 6 mile canoe trip and then approx.
6 hours of driving to get to our final destination. My wife and I are
amateur hikers and paddlers, and I think we might be also be
considered hurting puppies after this little adventure! People have
commented, this doesn't sound like much of a vacation, but boy am I
ready for the peace and quite of the backcountry! Again, thanks for
the feedback, this will help with the planning phase!

Jeff Reynolds
Grand Rapids, MI

Peter H wrote in message ...
jreynolds9 wrote:

I am hoping that someone could give me a good estimate on how long it
would take to paddle a canoe across a nice, calm 6 mile lake with two
people. My wife and I will be backcountry camping at Glacier National
Park this August and part of the leg of our trip is to paddle 6 miles
to the first campsite on Kintla Lake. We have a tight schedule on our
return trip and it would help to estimate how long we will be on the
water with a loaded canoe. Any comments would be appreciated!

My rule of thumb is to allow 2 m.p.h. overall with moderate load &
relatively calm conditions. It's possible to double that going with
current or the wind, perhaps a bit better than half if going into a
10-20 mile breeze. These general rates would be for people of average
condition in a canoe large enough for the task at hand and not
travelling over 6-7 miles per segment.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton aka The Ent

Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
jreynolds9 wrote:
Thanks for your information on the estimated times. We will have a
long day ahead of us on our last leg of our trip. Our morning will
start with a 6 mile hike and then a 6 mile canoe trip and then approx.
6 hours of driving to get to our final destination. My wife and I are
amateur hikers and paddlers, and I think we might be also be
considered hurting puppies after this little adventure!

You may want to try a 6 mile paddle with the appropriate amount of
luggage (or similar weight stuff), in the canoe that you will be using.
Otherwise, you may get all kinds of guesses, from under an hour (for
canoe racers who practice / train frequently and paddle the trip at
race pace) to several hours (for people who paddle only occasionally
and paddle the trip at a leisurely pace).

Timothy J. Lee
John T.

I'm curious about a few things:
What's the hiking terrain like where you'll be doing the 6 mile hike?
What time of day do you plan to start hiking (walking, not packing up)?
What time of day will you be on the water paddling?

Peter H wrote in message

jreynolds9 wrote:

[...]

William R. Watt

"John T." ) writes:
Has anyone noticed the 666 nature of the original post?

6 mi hike @ 2.5 mph = 2.4 hr
6 mi paddle @ 3 mph = 2.0 hr
6 hr drive = 6.0 hr
Total time in motion = 10.4 hr
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject or its returned