John Brown

Default Ford OMC

Im looking at a 1989 bayliner with a Ford 351 engine and an OMC
outdrive. A friend of mine is warning me this is a low budget combo and
is just waiting to break down. Any one had a bad or good experience with
this combo.

Thanks
John

RG

"John Brown" wrote in message
ink.net...
Im looking at a 1989 bayliner with a Ford 351 engine and an OMC outdrive.
A friend of mine is warning me this is a low budget combo and is just
waiting to break down. Any one had a bad or good experience with this
combo.

While I'm not sure I'd completely agree with your friend's reasoning, I'd
follow his advice just the same. I don't believe the real issue is that the
engine/drive combo is "low budget and is just waiting to break down". I
believe the real reason to run away from this package is that it is a double
orphan. Ford no longer makes marine engines, and more importantly, OMC no
longer makes anything at all. This will ultimately lead to parts
availability issues and serious resale problems.

Tim

I'd walk from the OMC idea

I was considering OMC a couple months ago, then I did some searching
ont he web in the news groups to see what people thought of them.

bad shifting, shift cable adjustment problems . extremely high dollar
parts replacement. etc. etc

that did it for me.

trainfan1

JamesgangNC wrote:
The 351 won't be a problem as that is a common ford engine. But omc is
gone. Parts and service is an issue and is going to get worse.

Between the aftermarket & Volvo, parts aren't too bad an issue. The 351
is a nice torque-y engine on the Cobra drive. Use (the cons) as a
bargaining tool to get a nice serviceable boat at a good deal(the pros).

Rob
JamesgangNC

I like the 351's myself, it is a pretty good engine. I suppose if you get a
good price and think of it as something to use for the next few years you
have a point. But a bayliner would not be my first choice for a 16 year old
boat either so I figure it has 2 strikes against it.

"trainfan1" wrote in message
JamesgangNC wrote:
The 351 won't be a problem as that is a common ford engine. But omc is
gone. Parts and service is an issue and is going to get worse.

Between the aftermarket & Volvo, parts aren't too bad an issue. The 351
is a nice torque-y engine on the Cobra drive. Use (the cons) as a
bargaining tool to get a nice serviceable boat at a good deal(the pros).

Rob

Bill McKee

"RG" wrote in message news:CLcVe.8788$mH.242@fed1read07...

"John Brown" wrote in message
ink.net...
Im looking at a 1989 bayliner with a Ford 351 engine and an OMC outdrive.
A friend of mine is warning me this is a low budget combo and is just
waiting to break down. Any one had a bad or good experience with this
combo.

While I'm not sure I'd completely agree with your friend's reasoning, I'd
follow his advice just the same. I don't believe the real issue is that
the engine/drive combo is "low budget and is just waiting to break down".
I believe the real reason to run away from this package is that it is a
double orphan. Ford no longer makes marine engines, and more importantly,
OMC no longer makes anything at all. This will ultimately lead to parts
availability issues and serious resale problems.

The Ford is an industrial 351 winsor. Everything except the pulleys are
available at your local auto parts store. Red Line Marine in Lewiston, ID
carried all the parts, but they burned down last year, and do not know if
they reopened or if someone else is carrying the line.