Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Blorf

Default 1150 Merc starts then quits

Hello all,

I just brought my 1150 Merc 6 cyclinder outboard out of storage. Motor has
been mechanicaly quiet an ran fine in the fall. It just didn't want to start
for me this spring. Made a mild clacking sound (one per revolution) like it
sometimes makes when cold if it hasn't been run for a few weeks. After a few
aborted starts the clacking sound is gone. Kept playing with it but it will
not continue to run once started. Replaced all the old fuel and drained the
bowls, but no change. If I leave it sit for 5 minutes it will start and idle
for 5 to 6 seconds. If I restrart it immediately it will fire up but quit
right away after a few cylinders fired. It seems to fire up immediately
everytime I turn the key and then abruptly quit after a few cylinders fired.
If I let it sit a bit it will run for noticably longer before it quits.
Pumping the bulb when it is running doesn't seem to help.

I'm guessing this is fuel related as opposed to spark? I looked at the
fuel pump membrane and it looks fine. I pulled the plugs and they look fine.
Could it be flooding on a pair of cylinders because of a faulty needle and
seat?

Thanks for your help.

5.7L Merc coil question Coff General 6 May 7th 04 05:25 AM
Merc 1250 runs :) ... boat slow :( Matt Lang General 6 April 15th 04 05:31 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM
Used boats: Merc. 5.7 EFI vs. Mag MPI Economy Slambram General 4 December 18th 03 01:28 PM
Merc 5.0 MPI or Volvo 5.0Gxi/SX David Ditch General 1 October 28th 03 11:28 PM