Default New Gauges - which?

Any suggestions for replacing gauges on a classic fiberglass boat (inboard)?
I'd like to stick somewhat original, with black bezels and chrome surrounds.

Old gauges: Tach, Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Fuel Gauge, Water Temp

It seems ammeters are tough to come by - should I convert to a voltmeter?

Thanks

Mark

If you want a great meter that will provide volts and amps and more, I would
recommend a Cruising Equipment / Link 10 E-Meter. This will give you batery
condition in volts to 1.5 decimal places, energy consumed (amp hours),
charge and discharge current, etc. They are pricey, but if you shop around
and can find a good deal it is well worth it.

I did a search on google and found this article at
http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/demosem.html .

Mark (the rail, canopy, lifeline hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

wrote in message
Any suggestions for replacing gauges on a classic fiberglass boat
(inboard)?
I'd like to stick somewhat original, with black bezels and chrome
surrounds.

Old gauges: Tach, Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Fuel Gauge, Water Temp

It seems ammeters are tough to come by - should I convert to a voltmeter?

Thanks

Joe Blizzard

"Woodchuck" wrote
Voltage is more important than amps.

I have gauges for both and I'd have a hard time choosing one to lose. The
voltmeter tells me the battery is there and healthy. The ammeter tells me
whether or not I should expect it to stay that way.

Gary

I restored a 1958 Chris Craft Sea Skiff.
The gauges I used we

www.ClassicInstruments.com
http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.phtml?catid=15

Nice looking. Somewhat like the original in style & color. Company was
fairly helpful with some questions. They did send the wrong gauges the
first time around. They corrected the problem but it took a few phone calls
to get all the charges to my credit card correct. (They accidentially
charged
me for the 2nd gauges or shipping or something. Eventually put a credit back
on my card for it but it took some phone calls.)

I had the ammeter vs. voltmeter question in mind too. On the one hand the
ammeter
is what was originally there. And seeing if a system is charging or
discharging can be
helpful. On the other I also wanted a voltmeter. My final decision was to
put an ammeter
in the dash where the original was and to build a voltmeter into my
electrical panel. I'm
very happy with that decision.

Gary

Any way of testing dash board gauges? g Boat Building 3 June 27th 04 11:48 PM
Any Way of testing dash board gauges? g General 1 June 27th 04 04:07 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
FloScan - fuel monitoring John Buscema Cruising 4 January 20th 04 05:17 AM
Computerized gauges Paul Cruising 22 November 28th 03 01:34 PM