Gary

I restored a 1958 Chris Craft Sea Skiff.
The gauges I used we

www.ClassicInstruments.com
http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.phtml?catid=15

Nice looking. Somewhat like the original in style & color. Company was
fairly helpful with some questions. They did send the wrong gauges the
first time around. They corrected the problem but it took a few phone calls
to get all the charges to my credit card correct. (They accidentially
charged
me for the 2nd gauges or shipping or something. Eventually put a credit back
on my card for it but it took some phone calls.)

I had the ammeter vs. voltmeter question in mind too. On the one hand the
ammeter
is what was originally there. And seeing if a system is charging or
discharging can be
helpful. On the other I also wanted a voltmeter. My final decision was to
put an ammeter
in the dash where the original was and to build a voltmeter into my
electrical panel. I'm
very happy with that decision.

Gary