M K

Default Kids lifejacket/bathing suit

Does anyone know if those bathing suits with the built in jacket (havent
seen it yet) are legal flotation devices for kids under 13? NC has a law
(could be US wide but I only know about NC) that says anyone under 13 must
wear a jacket at all times except when moored, sitting etc.

I just want to make sure they are legit so I dont get a ticket ( I do have
the legit ones as well but my daughter in law insits that hers are ok..

Mark

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:48:55 GMT, "M K" wrote:

Does anyone know if those bathing suits with the built in jacket (havent
seen it yet) are legal flotation devices for kids under 13? NC has a law
(could be US wide but I only know about NC) that says anyone under 13 must
wear a jacket at all times except when moored, sitting etc.

I just want to make sure they are legit so I dont get a ticket ( I do have
the legit ones as well but my daughter in law insits that hers are ok..

They have to be clearly marked as type accepted. If they aren't, then
they aren't legal.

Later,

Tom

Email decoder:

Remove onetwothree, replace with info,
Remove four, replace with swsports,
Remove com, replace with org.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:47:38 GMT, "M K" wrote:

it says CG approved.. is that all that is needed?

As long as there is a tag that states that it is type accepted
(showing the type) by the USCG, then it's legal.

Now, having said that:

Sometimes these things work in the opposite way you might expect them
to. For instance, the suit ones that I've seen are buoyant, but the
potential for them to keep a child's face in the water disallowing for
breathing is very high.

It's a center-of-gravity issue. Children's PFDs that I've seen in
mass market retail stores, don't account for the shorter torso's
mid-riff and legs of the children. This causes the PFD to flip them
face down. The best way to test the relative value of a children's
PFD is to it on the child, toss 'em both in the water and see what
happens.

I've got a ton of children's PFDs here at the house because I never
bought the right one the first time.

Later,

Tom

Email decoder:

Remove onetwothree, replace with info,
Remove four, replace with swsports,
Remove com, replace with org.

Dan J.S.

Now, having said that:

Sometimes these things work in the opposite way you might expect them
to. For instance, the suit ones that I've seen are buoyant, but the
potential for them to keep a child's face in the water disallowing for
breathing is very high.

It's a center-of-gravity issue. Children's PFDs that I've seen in
mass market retail stores, don't account for the shorter torso's
mid-riff and legs of the children. This causes the PFD to flip them
face down. The best way to test the relative value of a children's
PFD is to it on the child, toss 'em both in the water and see what
happens.

I've got a ton of children's PFDs here at the house because I never
bought the right one the first time.

Later,

Tom

I second this. Had the same issue with a high priced PFD that makes my kid
go forward, head first into water. I finally bought one that works, and it
was half the price.

*JimH*

"M K" wrote in message
r.com...
[...]

Nope, it must be listed as a type I-IV PFD.

Don't count on the bathing suit saving your kids from possibly drowning.

http://www.boatwashington.org/lifejacket.htm

Rob V

Ive never seen on of them that were USCG approved - ie - not a good idea to
keep your munchkin in it while on the boat.
(if you do find one - please let me know!)

Just an FYI - Dicks has some Bodyglove Neoprene kids size life jackets on
sale for like 50% off.
Much better than the nylon ones we had our girls in last year. They fit
much better and are more comfortable for them.

r.com...