Default Cruise Bahamas with the kids ??

I am considering a charter in the Bahamas (Abacos) with The Moorings
in mid-April. My wife and I would be taking our 7yr old boy and 5yr
old girl. This would be our first sailing trip as an entire family,
so I want it to be a good experience that will hopefully lead to
future trips or a boat of our own someday (we are from N.C.). We are
considering about 4-5 days on the boat.

My question is whether it is advisable to take children of this age
with us. They are very good swimmers so they would no doubt enjoy the
water and beaches, plus giving us greater confidence in their safety.
I understand that the weather and water conditions are mild to
moderate so I am not overly concerned about their safety or comfort.

I just want them to have fun!! Seems like it be a real treat for kids
to be outdoors and around the water. My kids are active, non-TV
types, anyway.

Any thoughts? Take some games with us in case of rain? Is 4-5 days
too long? Any thoughts on anchorages or marinas in the Abacos that
kids would especially enjoy? Keep the sailing to short hops? Get off
the boat regularly? Will boat length make a difference (we are
getting a 41)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
OEW

doug dotson

The Abacos are a very good place to cruise the Bahamas for the first
time. If you do happen to get into trouble, help is only a short time away.
Our favorite games are Dominos (MexicanTrain) and Rummikub. Boat
length is not a major concern, draft can be. We draw 6' so we have to be
careful. In the Abacos I suspect that you are chartering out of Marsh Harbor
probably at the Conch Inn. Many Moorings boats there. Good thing your
kids are not TV types, no TV in the Abacos. Not much radio either, just
Radio Abaco. Quite an eclectic mix including Mr. Miller the local Rush
Limbaugh
And of course the ever popular Silbert Mills.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
[...]

Steve Schwartz

My wife and I chartered a Beneteau 35 out of Marsh Harbor a few years ago
with my daughter age 12 and parents in their mid-80s. We had a wonderful
time. The Moorings is a top-notch organization.

We chartered in mid-January and had glorious weather, sailing, snorkling,
beach-combing, etc. The big is worry is northers--weather that can really
mess you up. When some weather came through we picked up a mooring in
Hopetown.

The sailing is easy, the towns (Hopetown and Man-of-War Cay) are interesting
and quaint. The anchorages (except for those towns) are open--i.e. you
anchor in the lee--but lovely and peaceful.

The Moorings staff is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I think that 4 or 5 days could be too short.

The flight over from Ft. Lauderdale in a four seater was, shall we say, an
event that focused your attention on how much you enjoyed living. Likewise
the flight back.

Much more info and pics available by email.

Steve
wrote in message
[...]

PeterV

wrote in message . ..
[...]

We took our 5&1/2 year old son with us for a week; had a mixed bag of
weather and even on the wet & windy days he enjoyed it as long as he
was involved with the 'running of the boat' (a bit of winching,
coiling rope, a bit of aided helming etc.) So I'd say go for it. If
they have never been to sea before then a week is probably good as a
week can be endured if they don't like it.
One thing we had to do was to get him a proper life vest as the
charter company did not have one in his size. Also a good jacket and a
harness as the ones supplied would not have fitted him at all! We kept
him 'clipped on' while under way but just had him in the life vest
while moored. (We were in cold waters and he could not swim at the
time). The other suggestion..... get some sea-sickness tablets!!!!

Peter

RWKxxx

My question is whether it is advisable to take children of this age

As far as taking kids this age on a sailing trip, it depends on the kids and
the parents. My wife and I spent 10 yrs cruising central and south American and
the daughter brought her two sons down for 2 months every summer. The started
at 3 and 5 yrs of age and they had a ball. We had no problems of any type.

Jeff Liggett

I guess as a power boater I am spoiled. For those rainy days when we run
out of board games we fire the generator up and plug a video or video game
up.

My 8 and 5 year old have spent countless hours aboard even fishing in 4-5's.
We will try the Bahamas very soon from our Jupiter, FL port.

Jeff
"Final Chance"