Jeff Liggett

Default Cruise Bahamas with the kids ??

I guess as a power boater I am spoiled. For those rainy days when we run
out of board games we fire the generator up and plug a video or video game
up.

My 8 and 5 year old have spent countless hours aboard even fishing in 4-5's.
We will try the Bahamas very soon from our Jupiter, FL port.

Jeff
"Final Chance"

"RWKxxx" wrote in message

My question is whether it is advisable to take children of this age

As far as taking kids this age on a sailing trip, it depends on the kids

and
the parents. My wife and I spent 10 yrs cruising central and south

American and
the daughter brought her two sons down for 2 months every summer. The

started
at 3 and 5 yrs of age and they had a ball. We had no problems of any

type.

Larry

Our experiences with our kids (a couple of years older than yours) on
3-4 week trips to the San Juans in the NW US were very good.

We used short sailing days, lots of beach time (Bahamas' warm water
should be even better). Some days they wanted to help sail, sometimes
they played in the cabin. Variety was the spice of life. Trips into
town for an icecream cone became extra special since they were living
without a freezer on the boat. They shared a vberth on the little
boat and had their own quarter berths on the big boat. Whichever, it
was their territory to play in and decorate.

I hope you have as much fun as we did.

Larry

wrote in message . ..
I am considering a charter in the Bahamas (Abacos) with The Moorings
in mid-April. My wife and I would be taking our 7yr old boy and 5yr
old girl. This would be our first sailing trip as an entire family,
so I want it to be a good experience that will hopefully lead to
future trips or a boat of our own someday (we are from N.C.). We are
considering about 4-5 days on the boat.

snip

Frank Boettcher

Abacos is a great place for kids and very easy to charter. Make sure
you get a boat that draws 5' or less to minimize the channel bound
time. Make sure you have an GPS/autopilot so that when you are
channel bound you can turn it loose and deal with the kids.

all the runs are short or as short as you want. You can hop around
the abacos without ever spending more than a couple three hours at a
time on the boat and hit plenty of anchorages. Get a cruising guide
before you go with all the waypoint information, plan your cruise and
put in your waypoints as soon as you get there. On most boats they
will already be programmed by the last person that had the boat.
Check them as you use them though, we found one that was in error and
it was taking us to the rocks.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:32:49 GMT, wrote:

I am considering a charter in the Bahamas (Abacos) with The Moorings
in mid-April. My wife and I would be taking our 7yr old boy and 5yr
old girl. This would be our first sailing trip as an entire family,
so I want it to be a good experience that will hopefully lead to
future trips or a boat of our own someday (we are from N.C.). We are
considering about 4-5 days on the boat.

My question is whether it is advisable to take children of this age
with us. They are very good swimmers so they would no doubt enjoy the
water and beaches, plus giving us greater confidence in their safety.
I understand that the weather and water conditions are mild to
moderate so I am not overly concerned about their safety or comfort.

I just want them to have fun!! Seems like it be a real treat for kids
to be outdoors and around the water. My kids are active, non-TV
types, anyway.

Any thoughts? Take some games with us in case of rain? Is 4-5 days
too long? Any thoughts on anchorages or marinas in the Abacos that
kids would especially enjoy? Keep the sailing to short hops? Get off
the boat regularly? Will boat length make a difference (we are
getting a 41)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
OEW