Douglas St. Clair

Default Engine Tag Identification / Location

OK- I have two metal tags that are ID tags for my engine or some component
of the engine...
http://www.thedougout.com/engtags.jpg

The top one was attached to a carb bolt - I'm guessing not the original
location. I have no idea where the bottom one was attached to.

Curious - does anybody know what these tags identify, and where they would
originally have been mounted? The engine is a 68 Ford 427, Rated 300 HP, so
I assume the top tag is the ID and serial number for the engine itself. The
boat is a 1970 Century Resorter, which may jive with the numbers on the
bottom tag (427 70 12 = December 1970??).

Thanks!

Bill McKee wrote:
The carb one is a carb number.

I've looked up Autolite, Motorcraft, Holley and Rochester with no such
numbers. What make do you presume was used on a 68 427 Ford that I've
missed?

Bill McKee

It looks like a Holly, but would have to have to look at the 351W I took out
of the boat to tell you the make on the carb. Prestolite? You still do
not have a life?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
The carb one is a carb number.

I've looked up Autolite, Motorcraft, Holley and Rochester with no such
numbers. What make do you presume was used on a 68 427 Ford that I've
missed?

The Carb, at least when I purchased the boat, was an Autolite 4300. Not
sure if this would have been original, but I guess it might have been (used
on same era vehicles with the big Ford engine).

Which one are we assuming to be the carb tag... the one on the bottom?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
The carb one is a carb number.

I've looked up Autolite, Motorcraft, Holley and Rochester with no such
numbers. What make do you presume was used on a 68 427 Ford that I've
missed?

Bill McKee

My Autolite had the tag on one of the top bolts. Is a marine carb, not an
automotive carb. Differences are that the vent tubes on top are J tubes, so
the stuck float pors the fuel down the carb throat, and the throttle shaft
has some flats and grooves to prevent leakage out the shaft.

wrote in message
The Carb, at least when I purchased the boat, was an Autolite 4300. Not
sure if this would have been original, but I guess it might have been
(used
on same era vehicles with the big Ford engine).

Which one are we assuming to be the carb tag... the one on the bottom?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
It looks like a Holly, but would have to have to look at the 351W I took out
of the boat to tell you the make on the carb. Prestolite? You still do
not have a life?

Sure, Bill, I have a great life, now tell me, exactly what carb that
Holly, or Prestolite made had such a number as 300RS? By the way, the
number will be stamped on the carb, and sometimes also the venturi
size.
Here, take a look for yourself:

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

Bill McKee

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
It looks like a Holly, but would have to have to look at the 351W I took
out
of the boat to tell you the make on the carb. Prestolite? You still do
not have a life?

Sure, Bill, I have a great life, now tell me, exactly what carb that
Holly, or Prestolite made had such a number as 300RS? By the way, the
number will be stamped on the carb, and sometimes also the venturi
size.
Here, take a look for yourself:

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

Get a life, loser! Was an Autolite and the tag was an ID.

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
It looks like a Holly, but would have to have to look at the 351W I took
out
of the boat to tell you the make on the carb. Prestolite? You still do
not have a life?

Sure, Bill, I have a great life, now tell me, exactly what carb that
Holly, or Prestolite made had such a number as 300RS? By the way, the
number will be stamped on the carb, and sometimes also the venturi
size.
Here, take a look for yourself:

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

Get a life, loser! Was an Autolite and the tag was an ID.

No, it wasn't. What did it ID, idiot? Model number 300RS was never,
ever used by Autolite. Look for yourself! the model number for that
particular autolite is on the carb. I need to get a life?? YOU are
arguing a point that you've been PROVEN wrong on, again.......

Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM