*JimH*

Default Ping: NOYB

Can you offer some advice?

I grind my teeth at night and my canines are now ground past the enamel.
This was confirmed today during my checkup and teeth cleaning.

My dentist is suggesting getting fitted with a mouth guard.

I tried that years ago but it was uncomfortable to wear....it was custom fit
but came out like the mouth guard you wear for physical contact sports. I
could not sleep with it....too bulky and suffocating for me. This old
mouthguard no longer fits as I have had 2 or 3 teeth capped since it was
made so modifications to it may not be possible.

Although insurance will pay for a new guard I have heard commercials about a
drugstore brand you can buy (not the sports type) that is supposedly just as
effective.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

*JimH*

"*JimH*" wrote in message
Can you offer some advice?

I grind my teeth at night and my canines are now ground past the enamel.
This was confirmed today during my checkup and teeth cleaning.

My dentist is suggesting getting fitted with a mouth guard.

I tried that years ago but it was uncomfortable to wear....it was custom
fit but came out like the mouth guard you wear for physical contact
sports. I could not sleep with it....too bulky and suffocating for me.
This old mouthguard no longer fits as I have had 2 or 3 teeth capped since
it was made so modifications to it may not be possible.

Although insurance will pay for a new guard I have heard commercials about
a drugstore brand you can buy (not the sports type) that is supposedly
just as effective.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

BTW: Here is the drugstore mouthguard I was referring to:

http://www.dentalconcepts.com/html/nightguard.html

Don White

*JimH* wrote:
Can you offer some advice?

I grind my teeth at night and my canines are now ground past the enamel.
This was confirmed today during my checkup and teeth cleaning.

My dentist is suggesting getting fitted with a mouth guard.

I tried that years ago but it was uncomfortable to wear....it was custom fit
but came out like the mouth guard you wear for physical contact sports. I
could not sleep with it....too bulky and suffocating for me. This old
mouthguard no longer fits as I have had 2 or 3 teeth capped since it was
made so modifications to it may not be possible.

Although insurance will pay for a new guard I have heard commercials about a
drugstore brand you can buy (not the sports type) that is supposedly just as
effective.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

I'd suggest you chill out...clear your mind of everything that stresses
you out. No more chasing Chuck..hoping against hope to 'best him' in
some argument.....no more trashing Canadians or any liberal sensible
minded people. Your teeth will thank you for it and this newsgroup will
also.
One more thing...buy a boat already....then at least you'll feel like
you belong here.
Bill McKee

"Don White" wrote in message
news
*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Just kill those who are causing you stress. Now doesn't that feel better?

Don White

Bill McKee wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
news
*JimH* wrote:

[...]

Normal people might then be plagued by a guilty conscience...you do
consider yourself normal, don't you Bill??

Bill McKee

"Don White" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
news
*JimH* wrote:

[...]

Normal, but it might relieve your stress.

*JimH*

"Don White" wrote in message
news
*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Don, I would rather be boatless than to have to admit that all I could
afford when I was in my 50's (as I assume you are) was a used 17 foot
sailboat.

Thanks for ruining a thread that had nothing to do with you.

NOYB

"*JimH*" wrote in message
Can you offer some advice?

I grind my teeth at night and my canines are now ground past the enamel.
This was confirmed today during my checkup and teeth cleaning.

My dentist is suggesting getting fitted with a mouth guard.

I tried that years ago but it was uncomfortable to wear....it was custom
fit but came out like the mouth guard you wear for physical contact
sports. I could not sleep with it....too bulky and suffocating for me.
This old mouthguard no longer fits as I have had 2 or 3 teeth capped since
it was made so modifications to it may not be possible.

Although insurance will pay for a new guard I have heard commercials about
a drugstore brand you can buy (not the sports type) that is supposedly
just as effective.

The drugstore brands work, but they're going to be bulkier and will wear
out more quickly than the others. They also don't create proper canine and
anterior guidance and can be tough on the TMJ.

Here's the one that I make (Comfort H/S Bite Splint):
http://www.glidewell-lab.com/pdf/bro...tguard_bro.pdf

After it comes back from the lab, I spend about 20 minutes balancing the
occlusion.

For patients who don't want a full-coverage bite guard, I make them an NTI.
It fits over the front 2-4 teeth and has a discluding element that
subconscioulsy triggers an opening response when you bite down on it while
you're sleeping The NTI is especially effective for patients with TMJ pain
or bruxism-induced migraine headaches. Here's the link to the NTI:
http://www.headacheprevention.com/pages/whatisit.html

The reason you're bruxing could be from stress...or it could be from those
worn canines. Once they're worn, your back teeth grind on each other when
you grind side to side, which actually exacerbates the tendency to grind.
Your mouth is trying to grind itself into a more comfortable bite. It's
important to re-establish canine guidance (aka--cuspid rise) to prevent
premature wear on the back teeth. This can be done with veneers or crowns.

Bowgus

Install sacrificial anodes ... the ones with the tabs?
Install a motor trailering support to keep your jaw open?
Sleep with a fender in your mouth?

Ping NOYB thunder General 1 July 8th 05 07:10 PM
Ping NOYB & Suzuki 4S Owners NOYB General 2 June 6th 05 02:10 AM
PING => NOYB ... It *might* be important.... NOYB General 7 March 30th 05 02:57 AM
NOYB and Harry go Boating.... Gould 0738 General 1 August 14th 04 11:18 AM
PING: Gould, jps, NOYB, Jim, Harry, and a cast of thousands Gould 0738 General 6 September 17th 03 06:12 AM