Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
NOYB

Default PING => NOYB ... It *might* be important....

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

We had discussed this earlier, but I didn't see any sense of urgency.
This is completely anecdotal, but what the hey.. it happened to *me*!

Last weekend during some bottom painting chores I cut the crap out of
my hand. Upon examination of what the h*ll was so sharp, I found that
the anodes on the motors had been nearly expended and what was left
was razor sharp.

What made this particularly interesting was that they were only about
a foot from another anode attached to the hull. I concluded from this
that the Suzuki factory anodes were *very* anodic and that they would
probably sacrifice themselves faster than another other component...
even other anodes. I suspect that they are high in magnesium content,
but I just don't know.

Anyway, I'd certainly consider checking any anodes internal to the
engine per the maintenance schedule suggested by Suzuki.... they
might know what they are talking about.... and are not crying, "wolf!"

Thanks Gene. Ironically, the second dealer that I talked to said not to
worry...especially since the boat is kept on a lift and flushed immediately
after use each time.

I just changed the oil on my Suzuki myself after getting a quote of $289
plus $75 transport cost for performing the 100 hour service. I'll be
changing the lower gear oil this weekend. The first dealer quoted me $169
for the same service...but that's the guy who tired to tell me that the
anodes in the engine need to be changed at 200 hours.(*and* he wanted to
charge me $150 transport costs)

I'm beginning to realize that the Suzuki dealers down by me aren't the most
reputable guys in the world. I love my 4-stroke Suzuki, but here's a video
that I can relate to:

http://home.comcast.net/~xcusme/2070.wmv

PING - basskisser! John H General 8 March 3rd 05 09:01 PM
NOYB and Harry go Boating.... Gould 0738 General 1 August 14th 04 11:18 AM
PING: Gould, jps, NOYB, Jim, Harry, and a cast of thousands Gould 0738 General 6 September 17th 03 06:12 AM